What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been a first class dummy!

Didn't remove the bolt from the centre of the crank arm before screwing in the extractor... "Blimey, this is tight" thought I only half a turn before the crank-extractor sheared in two :shy:

gbb

Squire
Fitted second hand but good tyres (27 x 1.1/4...how many of us fit them anymore) to the wifes cheapo project bike...

Got them late last year at the carboot....£1 each. Result.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Foul weather is forecast for my forum ride tomorrow so I put my rear Crud Roadracer back on. I had to remove it while I used a 25C spare tyre until the replacement 23C arrived (because of inadequate clearance with the larger tyre).

While doing that, I noticed that I hadn't cleaned my chain after my last ride and it was not only dirty but rusty and hadh stiff links. I have a new chain but don't want to put it on just before a forum ride in case the cassette is worn and the new chain starts slipping. (I've had that happen in the past.) I've cleaned up the old chain and lubed it. I'll replace it after tomorrow's ride. (Note to self - keep the old chain until sure that the new one is okay. If new chain slips, put old one back and ride that chain and cassette until both need replacing.)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
due to go out mtb'ing this morning. partner in crime arrived at mine with his lovely rockhopper in one hand and a pedal in the other. looking puzzled. he's never owned a bike as an adult before but is very very bright and very very very fit. (the sort of fitness that has him running 10km a day on average in a 90 day 1000km challenge)

the shop he bought the bike from a few months ago sold him on some upgraded Welgo magnesium pedals and fitted them on the basis the ones shipped were 'get you home jobs'. from the off, he said, they've been really stiff. so he had taken the drive side one off to see if he could loosen it. he failed. so he put it back on. he handed me the pedal. stiffer than a stiff thing, should never have been put on the bike. GT85 the hole in the crank with some kitchen towel. swarf. was it hard to get back in I enquire? Yep. oh dear...

put pedal in through back of crank in hope of cleaning things up a little, seemed to work, put it back on. tricky. very tricky, first three turns of thread on crank mashed to heck but got lucky, backed it off every time resistance felt and then went again. gently.

200 yards into his test ride the pedal fell off, having unscrewed itself. found an old wellgo pedal that came on my boardman in the shed. carefully fitted it. test ride. sorted. off we went 45 minutes late. had a great ride, the uophill was into a stiff breeze during a squalll and the downhill under blue skies. and i had a visitation 500m from the start.

The last time that happened to me, the bearings had seized up in the pedal . Should have torn down the pedal when I bought the bike , 20 years old when I got it . A friend of mine is still riding a ten year old Hardrock with the get you home pedals.

Cleaned and lubed four bikes, discovered one cheap broken seatpost, one stiff bb and a front mech not working properly, one kinked front brake cable, two worn pads after yesterdays mtn biking and decided to put a star nut in my mtn bike which has some weird old dia compe headset which keeps coming loose because you can only tighten it with prayers and joss sticks. So one bike is still on the stand as I need bits and I need to pencil in a longer slot for the other one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The last time that happened to me, the bearings had seized up in the pedal . Should have torn down the pedal when I bought the bike , 20 years old when I got it . A friend of mine is still riding a ten year old Hardrock with the get you home pedals.
1750488 said:
"Get you home pedals". That is just bike shop kit snobbery.
Not that that is all bad.
He went back to the same LBS (Doh!) y'day to get a replacement chainset quote. £120 One hundred and twenty of our English pounds. WTF!?! "No sir, you'll have to 'upgrade' to a Hollowtech II chainset and bottom bracket'

Fortunately he rang me, I talked him out of it whilst googling Alivio octalink chainsets, an upgrade from the Acera fitted, for £30 - £35. At least he did use some skill to negotiate a deal on some proper shoes and a pair of SPD's but the LBS wanted to charge to fit the cleats!

That's my fettling sorted for tomorrow night. Swap the old pedals out, put new SPD's, (DX M647 since you ask) on and setting up his cleats followed by a jolly time watching him fall off in his own kitchen.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lots of gardening: re bedded strawberries, turned veg patch, planted potatoes, onions, carrots, started tomatoes, broad beans, borlotti beans, kolabi, cabbage, spinach .... :hyper:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Have to do that myself, soon . Still quite early for me , but carrots, onions, cabbage may start soon .
Hey, done some more today tomatoes, courgettes, peppers today. They're in a small fleece covered greenhouse, till the seedlings come up. Need to start now or nothing will have a chance to ripe: here starts getting cold again beginning of september.

HovR

Über Member
New rear wheel finally arrived! Re-greased and adjusted the new hub, as it wasn't quite right - Then transferred over cassette, rim tape and tire and tube - So now the MTB is back up and running!

Just waiting for my new tires now to complete its transformation into a wet weather commuter.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I fettled a couple of things;

My Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx arrived and I am trying to work that out.

My new Kickbike Sport G4 also arrived and I got that put together. But it is very cold and windy here at the moment and so it wont be having its trial run just yet.

Steve

Top Bottom