What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just finished taping the bars on the summer bike after replacing the original 2007 10 speed Veloce QS shifters with new shape ones. Indexing seems fine, so the PS shifters seem to be compatible with the older mech. Replaced all the cables and outers too so replaced the brake blocks while I was at it.

edit: Pumped up tyres, lubed the chain and went for a test ride - AOK, indexing spot on, such a pleasure to have a fully functioning rear shifter again. Think the QS shifters had innards made from Parmesan.

HovR

Über Member
New chain for the Dawes has arrived! Fitted it earlier, and the bike is now so much quieter! Loving it!

The quick link is pretty neat too (haven't used one before).

Yesterday it was a new set of suspension forks on Son no1's bike, today was three new sets of pedals on, 1 change of tyres and four chain lubes and cleans and two wheel tunes to remove a couple of kinks.

So as I did the first pedals I remembered that right was normal and left reverse thread. So armed with this in my head I set about the first right pedal. Hmmmm, tight this. Quick shock with the hammer on the spanner I think. Clunk, clunk, nothing. I'll have to take this off the stand and hit it a bit sharper like, thinks I........Wait a minute, it's the right pedal you wazack, you're tightening it. So, go the right way, easy. A few minutes later... This pedal won't screw on......nope........hmmmm.........oh! It's the left pedal and that's the right crank. You'd think after that I'd be on the ball but no. I did the exact same thing with the next bike.

gbb

Squire
Fettled...and failed today.
While off the bike (sprained ankle) i thought i'd tinker and play.
Now here's an important reminder to everyone....
Check your seatpost and even stuff like your downtube adjusters.
I know i had the seatpost out early last year, seemed fine. I havnt used the bike much in the last 6 months, i dont use it in the winter. Just thought i'd slip it out and re coppergrease it....stuck :sad: Copious amounts of WD applied, i'll come back to that later.
Also, i knew one of the downtube adjusters seemed very tight recently. Same soaking in WD then a pair of grips was required to shift it (bloomin tight)....snap :sad: leaving the 5mm thread in the boss.

Back to work tomorrow so i'll get my stud extractors back home, hoping it'll come out with that.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just going to fit new brake cables to a freinds bike, get it out the way tonight have the weekend for me, apart from working sat morning, taking the wife to Camden in the afternoon, it's her birthday she need another pair of boots to go with the 24 pairs she already has, so that leaves Sunday and ther telling me it's going to piss down all day.

HovR

Über Member
Replaced knobblies with slicks on a friends MTB, and replaced/re-greased the front hub bearings on mine.

Just waiting for the rear wheel to arrive now before I can get it back up and running. ^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
Changed the rear tyre on Arch's FCR by borrowing one from her other bike. Simple enough job.
Tightened the suspension rubber on Tiddles and adjusted the saddle angle. What had been comfortable had become grossly uncomfortable and a bit 'nose up'. Hopefully it will be better now.

edindave

Über Member
Unfettled the 23mm Conti Ultra Race tyres from the hybrid and put on some old 25mm Conti Gatorskins.
Mended two punctured tubes (- one from Monday, one from today).
23mm Ultra Race and cycle paths do not mix! :thumbsdown:

stumpy66

Veteran
Cleaned and lubed my spec Allez (winter), trued back wheel, so got brake blocks closer to rim, might actually stop me now. Just hubs to service, that can wait a few weeks.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
My bike mount came for my garmin etrex, it doesn't fit, but have managed to bodge it with cable ties :smile:

Need rear brake on the commuter so will pop out later

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cleaned and lubed the fleet then used car touch up paint to tidy up the front mech clamp as it is looking worse for wear after 2 winters , its now a nice shade of black which nicely matches the frame colour .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
due to go out mtb'ing this morning. partner in crime arrived at mine with his lovely rockhopper in one hand and a pedal in the other. looking puzzled. he's never owned a bike as an adult before but is very very bright and very very very fit. (the sort of fitness that has him running 10km a day on average in a 90 day 1000km challenge)

the shop he bought the bike from a few months ago sold him on some upgraded Welgo magnesium pedals and fitted them on the basis the ones shipped were 'get you home jobs'. from the off, he said, they've been really stiff. so he had taken the drive side one off to see if he could loosen it. he failed. so he put it back on. he handed me the pedal. stiffer than a stiff thing, should never have been put on the bike. GT85 the hole in the crank with some kitchen towel. swarf. was it hard to get back in I enquire? Yep. oh dear...

put pedal in through back of crank in hope of cleaning things up a little, seemed to work, put it back on. tricky. very tricky, first three turns of thread on crank mashed to heck but got lucky, backed it off every time resistance felt and then went again. gently.

200 yards into his test ride the pedal fell off, having unscrewed itself. found an old wellgo pedal that came on my boardman in the shed. carefully fitted it. test ride. sorted. off we went 45 minutes late. had a great ride, the uophill was into a stiff breeze during a squalll and the downhill under blue skies. and i had a visitation 500m from the start.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
next up, pull the driver crank off the fast tourer, check bb cup tightness, clean and refit with torque wrench in hope of curing creak.

Top Bottom