What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broomwagon

Fettled with my seat pin, dropping it about 18-20mm, raised my bars a touch and also the brake levers, retaped with new shiney black Deda tape and did a 20 hilly miler

Portex

Regular
Changed Continental winter tyres on Giant Rapid back to slicks - original tyres. Removed remains of Avon towpath on wheels and frame. Now it's raining!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted new Ultremo ZX tyre onto the Fulcrum 5's. 20 miles later I was repairing a puncture on the rear ... the state of the tyres after 60 miles isn't good, but that may be due to Huddersfield's poor roads.

'Lethal Impact' bike got the bottom of the frame painted. Also fitted a decent front tyre to replace the old CST one it had. A few minutes later 'bang' and the old inner tube went, so replaced it with the mended one from my earlier puncture. Note: I'm attempting to re-build the bike at the lowest cost possible. Currently it stands me at £4 for new decals, given I'm using unwanted kit on it plus Gareth's donated paint. It'll then be loaned out to anyone who needs a bike ...

Cleaned up the Secteur after today's run.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
gave bike a good wipe down with baby wipes including the mech and rear cassette. Mickled the chain for the first time and was amazed at the crap off what is essentially a new chain:eek:never had a road bike with slim wheels such as these so did a dummy inner tube change to see how long it would take me to fix a puncture roadside by swapping out an inner tube..used co2 for the first time.......didn't take long and was easier than i expected. Also used my new workstand for the first time (set that up yesterday) and was impressed, made the cleaning a lot easier! Also fitted my replacement front light.

Nebulous

Guru
I've decided to dismantle my bike and throw it away!
I've a mtb which is about 8 years old, and have been commuting on it for the past year. It needs a new bottom bracket, new rear wheel, new rear tyre and new headset bearings. I saw the same one on Gumtree at two years old for £85 and came to the conclusion the bits needed would cost pretty close to that. I'm also getting short of storage. So I've begun to dismantle it, with the intention of selling/keeping anything useful, throwing the frame away, and getting some practice at stripping things down. I've removed the trigger shift gears, the lights, the handlebars, the stem and then it grew too dark to see what I was doing, so I'll continue tomorrow.

compo

Veteran
Don't know if this can be classed as fettling: Went out for my first longer ride on my new Trek hybrid this morning. I noticed the other day the front disc brake was slightly touching the pad as the wheel rotated. It was only a whisper so I assumed it would cure itself once the pads were bedded in. This morning it was getting on my nerves so I stopped and looked closely. One pad had a clearance to the disc and the other didn't. I assumed I would have to adjust the cable, a job for when I got home. A little while later I had one of those sudden flashes of common sense. I had had to take the wheel out to get the bike into the car to bring it home from the shop, so had I put it back into the frame properly? I stopped the bike, undid the QR, waggled the wheel and bounced the bike a couple of times and then relocked the QR. Result, no more noise from the disc. It can't have been out by more than the thickness of the paint but it was enough to put the disc out of true in the calliper. Now I have a nice quiet bike again.

1. New tyres on Single Speed (also flipped hub to the fixed side).
  2. New cassette and chain on commuter
  3. New saddle on commuter
  4. New rear gear cable on commuter
  5. Swapped snow tyres off mountain bike back to normal tyres
  6. Pumping up the mountain bike tyres I heard a pop so assumed I'd pinched the tube... spent 10 mins looking for the hole only to find that the pop was the track pump tube bursting, doh

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Flipped the rear wheel on my new steed to go fixed, took it out for a spin around Chester, a very weird feeling not having the freewheel at lights, junctions etc got to engage some thinking mans peddling from now on!!!

potsy

Rambler
2 bikes cleaned and checked, picked about 20 small slivers of glass out of the front tyre.
Mickled both chains, re-fitted frame bag and put the smaller panier on to the commuter.

Top Bottom