What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Changed stem to a shorter reach version, adjusted handlebar so it's raised a little on the hoods, changed pedals, added new water bottle holders, added a seat bag with tools, checked tyre pressures and adjusted on my friends new bike.

Completed a 12 mile test run /adjust where required and enjoyed the day, he'll be going out on an 18 miler on Wednesday :whistle:

top-tube

Über Member
Replaced brake and gear cables on my son's friends MTB, and gave it a good old clean: checked the rear and front shifters ran cleanly, and gave the bike a good old lube. Old cables/inners were so rusted, that back brake did not even work - and he goes to school on this every day! Thought I had better intervene having witnessed the shocking state of the bike on a visit to our house a couple of weeks ago. Now running sweetly, so a good deed done.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I fettled a Wilkinsons cycle computer onto Tiddles this evening. It doesn't work.:sad:

The computer was all set up, the sensor and wiring discretely tucked away and the wheel spun round, nothing! The little cyclist symbol appears but no speed recorded.
I swapped the computer (it is the same type) from my tractor onto Tiddles and it works fine. The new computer on the tractor doesn't work so it is definitely faulty.

I will have to take the computer back tomorrow and swap it. I don't want to unpick the whole set up so I will need to see if they will just swap the computer out of another packet.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got the new all-red Ultremo ZX tyre on the front wheel of the Secteur. Back will not change; I'm off to the Velocampus to switch cassettes so I'll take it with me.

Started painting the frame blue on the 'Lethal Impact' bike. I need a proper name for it (used to be an Ammaco but there's not much left of that. It got the name 'Lethal Impact' because it's almost killed both the previous owner and myself due to non-turning, no brakes and jamming gears. All now fixed (hopefully). It'll have custom graphics done as well.

Cyclist33

I put the 600mm riser bar from my new hybrid onto my mtb, and put the 580mm flatbar from the mtb onto the hybrid. And swapped the bar ends over too.

An hour well spent I think, except I forgot to put the computer back on before connecting the brake lever and shifter etc so now I can't tell how slowly I'm going!

Stu

Yesterday and today: Inserted one star nut and cap to replace the the prayers and joss sticks method used for tightening a '97 vintage Aheadset and greased it's bearings too. Replaced two brake pads, one inner brake cable and noodle, greased front wheel bearings and then failed to get a BB apart (see thread on that one). Replaced two tyres, changed a fork lockout cable outer to match the brake cable colours, replaced a seatpost and adjusted the disc brakes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I changed the front brake blocks on my Basso before tomorrow's forum ride, after some very dodgy front wheel braking on the previous ride 2 weeks ago!

What I haven't done is to fit my new chain. I don't want to do it and then get half way up the first climb and discover that the cassette is worn and the new chain slips. I'll fit it after tomorrow and test ride it locally.

Hey DCL - are you free for the Hebden Bridge-Waddington ride tomorrow? It's one of the Saturday forum rides introduced after you and several others said that you were rarely free on Sundays.

HovR

Über Member
Replaced the front brake cable on the Dawes today, putting it back on the road after I took the cable off yesterday only to find out it was knackered. Braking feels so much smoother now, and the lever returns back to the disengaged position much quicker than before. I hadn't realized quite how worn the cables had gotten. :rolleyes:

stumpy66

Veteran
Last night i changed the cassette, chain and middle chainring on my allez, only to find the bb is less than smooth, so will need to order and chnage that next. Test run today to make sure its all ok, all seems good on workstand

snorri

Legendary Member
Cleaned off what was left of the gunge after the tour last summer, also fitted new chainring and chain. New front wheel has a soft tyre, maybe I should treat it to a new tube. Then there's the gear oil to change tonight and the tourer should be ready for a test run tomorrow....if this infernal wind dies away.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Some very rare fettling success for me today. Normally I cock everything up spectacularly. Mrs G out all day so brought my Kalkhoff hybrid bike indoors, (where it is normally barred), for some fettling out of the rain. Managed to replace my old hub dynamo front light with a new one . I chose this one becasue it stays lit when at a standstill even without batteries. Even managed to connect it up to the rear dynamo light to power that as well - all before she got home. It seems to work as well. On a roll now after successfully replacing both gear cables recently.

I ordered the light in October for the winter commute and it arrived yesterday - better late than never! I'll go for a spin after dark to test the lights- I'm fairly sure they'll blow up within a few yards but at least they work now!

Top Bottom