What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Got my Tamiya connectors in the post today, only ordered yesterday. Been playing around with options to give permanent external power (and hence backlight) to the Garmin from the dyno-hub. Bought a Pedalpower Super-i-cable a while ago but only fitted it the other day, and decided their "piggy-back" arrangement was the height of fugliness, cue discussion with some nerds very nice people over in YACF - hence the Tamiyas. Fortunately I ordered a few spares cos I cocked up the first one.

Bluenite

Scrubbed carpet and painted walls, because nobody HERE told me not to use an electric toothbrush to clean a chain:cry:.

edindave

Über Member
Changed the tyres on the hybrid.

from Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28mm - 940g each
to Continental Ultra Race 23mm - 220g each

I make that a weight reduction of appx 1.4kg - cheeky wee stealth upgrade or what?!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Had a revelation and realised (and measured with a plumb line to make sure) that my saddle was just over an inch too far back!! So sorted out my reach problem as a byproduct :smile: long road test tomorrow cold virus permitting

potsy

Rambler
Changed the tyres on the hybrid.

from Schwalbe Marathon Plus 28mm - 940g each
to Continental Ultra Race 23mm - 220g each

I make that a weight reduction of appx 1.4kg - cheeky wee stealth upgrade or what?!
The 28's are only 740g Dave, positively lightweight :tongue:

I've gone the other way and swapped 350g tyres for 800g 32's M+ :ohmy:

edindave

Über Member
The 28's are only 740g Dave, positively lightweight :tongue:

I've gone the other way and swapped 350g tyres for 800g 32's M+ :ohmy:

Och well, still a good kilogram saving - give or take!

I'm not expecting a huge difference in performance - but I ride nearly every day along a promenade frequented by seabirds who drop shellfish and crack the shells all over it leaving razor sharp booby traps everywhere so the Mara + might end up back on very quickly.

I've never run 23mm on the hybrid. I had 25mm Gatorskin Ultras on it before I put the Mara + back on last Autumn.
Just thought I'd try the 23mm Ultra Race which were the stock tyres on my road bike (Scott CR1, now running GP4000s).

Nebulous

Guru
I've begun to work on my new old bike, a Motobecane Sprint, as described in the special interest forum. I've dismantled, cleaned and regreased both hubs and the front caliper. It has a Maillard atom freewheel 14-28, 6 speed and a Shimano LX rear mech. The tyres seem ok - I pumped the tubes up and they held air, for a while anyway, though I intend changing them.

compo

Veteran
I didn't think I was going to be fettling today, dammit. I went out this morning and did 20 odd miles on my hybrid. En route I decided to put it away for a week or so and get the road bike out of the shed. I pulled it from amongst all the other assorted bikes and put the hybrid in and locked everything up. As I pushed the road bike into the house the rear wheel was making a nasty noise. A quick check showed a broken spoke. I wish I had noticed it before repacking all the bikes. Anyway I had a buckled wheel that had the same size spokes so ten minutes with a spoke key and I was back in action. I went round all the spokes in the end and evened out the tensions as several were fairly loose. Amazingly after my ministrations the wheel is still true.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Fitted a cheap Bell bottle cage to the Cube and a seat post pannier.

Powered up the air compressor and checked all the bikes.

I keep the Cube in the shed and pondered what to chain the bike to......easy two full beer kegs :smile:

Oh nearly forgot, also replaced the break blocks on the Carerra

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have fettled a trailer today.
Arch mentioned she quite fancied having a trailer ages ago and today mentioned she could actually use one now.
So I took one old kiddie trailer, removed all the unnecessary kid control, restraint and management system and then fitted a cargo net to the remaining chassis. Instant trailer!:thumbsup:
DSC_0008-1.jpg

I also fettled a cycle computer to the tractor.
I needed to make a bracket to hold the sensor onto the axle and a bracket to hold the magnet onto the hub. The wire was then extended and the computer mount screwed to the temporary dashboard.
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

I now know that at the dizzying speed of 7mph I am being bounced out of my seat:hyper: at not quite full throttle in third gear. I think on a flat smooth road I might get up to 10mph but not without a bullet proof chain guard in case the chain, which is under my right buttock, snaps!:eek:

gbb

Squire
My Xenon front mechs been in need of adjustment for ages now, it often sits between the two chainrings when changing down, but ive been a few months off the bike and i havnt made it a priority to fix.
So, chain off to let the mech do what it wants when i change, i grabbed the mech to try and swing it by hand...oh, there's the problem, its stiff. No WD40 to introduce into the pivot (a common remedy on my Sora front mech), so remove the little e clip, moving part of the mech pulls off, clean it all, oil the pivot pin, re-assemble...all working well.

HovR

Über Member
Checked the bikes over. The MTB now has a new rear wheel and a set of bearings on the way, whilst the road bike has a new chain coming in the post. ^_^

Top Bottom