What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs Salad broke the plastic front light mounting on her e-bike, so I have bodged a temporary mounting out of cable ties, and ordered a new velcro style rubber mount for it.
Pumped the tyres and oiled the chains on both e-bikes before we went for a trip to the supermarket on them this afternoon.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Reset the new pads on my hydraulic disc brake for the third time. Can't stop them catching (just very slightly) and there is not as much travel on the levers as there should be, but I have tried everything. Pushed the pistons right back in as far as they will go, refitted the pads and springs, put the reservoir back together, re-centred the caliper on the rotor, but they always end up with virtually no clearance between the pads and the rotor. I'll just have to see how they go tomorrow and hope for the best. At least they are stopping me well.

potsy

Rambler
Cleaned and fettled the Secteur, it had been put away for the winter but ended up using it twice on the commute before Christmas and forgot to clean it :blush:
Put the seatpost rack onto the XC bike for now, but might get a proper rack for it and leave the other for the Secteur.

Brandane

Legendary Member
While out in the rain yesterday, I noticed brown rusty gunk leaking out the bottom of my head tube (Specialized Tricross). A closer inspection today revealed what I suspected; the bottom set of ball bearings were rusty and had worn the races.
So today, bike into kitchen/workshop :whistle: and off with the bars, front wheel, mudguard, front brake, and forks. A long metal rod and a hammer, followed by half an hour of swearing, banging, and a few blows to my left hand with said hammer, and the races were out of the head tube.

Into the car and off to Dales bike shop (nearest competent helpful bike shop open on a Sunday) and they sold me 2 sealed bearing units to replace the loose bearings and races set up which had been fitted originally.

Back home and back to work in the kitchen. All re-assembled, but why was there a gap between forks and head tube? And, there was play in the forks, and it wasn't rotating smoothly? Took it apart again for investigation and found the problem. The sealed bearing is bevelled on one side, THAT is the side that mates with the head tube - doh! I hadn't even noticed that the 2 sides were shaped differently when I first put it together.

All now sorted and awaiting trial run tomorrow :smile:.

VamP

Banned
Broke my tubular duck in style last night, two wheelsets, one with Tufo Flexus Dry and the other FMB Super Mud. Bloody good arm workout :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
A nice little steel frame I have recently acquired was picked up today from the powder coaters. Being genetically unable to stop myself fiddling and tinkering I just had to add a splash of colour the the otherwise pristine white uber shiny finish. So a can of yellow was employed to colour and ''fade'' the bottom of the forks and rear dropouts. :unsure:
I guess I'll have to do the lugs so it sort of balances.

jayonabike