What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Trued rear wheel of the MTB, and fitted a new set of wider knobblies in preparation for the snow we're predicted tomorrow. No such luxury of studded tires for me!

gbb

Squire
Quick clean of the Bianchi, back wheel off, hub stripped and oiled the bearings and freehub. Yes, oiled ^_^
Fulcrums, so easy to strip, i thought about when i was a kid, we never greased hubs, just oiled regularly, they used to spin and spin so i'm going to try it on a regular basis with these.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted the new Shimano 105 pedals to the Ridgeback and removed the remains of the rear mudguard so I can finally fit the Crud Roadracers. Tested the pedals indoors ready for a first 'proper' clipless ride tomorrow.

Fitted the Ridgeback's pedals to the Python Impact since I'd used the Python's pedals on my dad's Christmas present hybrid. Also fitted the new light and bike computer to the Python.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Changed a tube yesterday too - hedge trimmings I suspect. Day before repaired my rear Crud Road Racer guard - major damage caused by piece of branch - 3rd time I have managed to codge it together using super glue and spare plastic nuts and bolts. It is getting shorter and shorter ... have to buy a new set soon I suppose.

Patched it last night, it was my own stupid fault the p'ture. I had been riding down a narrow cycle road (residents access only) when a driver/ resident came at me fast forcing me into the gutter. I thought I'd picked up a thorn there but no it was immediately after when I started again on the steep hill in top gear (52x11) that I pinched the tube :blush:

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've had a whole day of fettling today, and I'm feeling remarkably pleased with myself.

My bike is showing its miles and I've been collecting bits. I probably should have waited until spring, but I decided to go for it.

So I took off the chain, front mech, crankset and removed the rings and cleaned the spider. One of the bearings was pretty much seized, and the axle had obviously been rotating inside it, so I had a quick trip to Edinburgh bike for new BB shells.

I removed the bar tape, changed all the cables, then rebuilt the whole lot. The front mech has been dodgy for a while, I bent the cage at one point and managed to straighten it, but it has never been quite right since. The whole bike is Tiagra, but I managed to get a 105 front mech in Edinburgh Bike sale for less than a Tiagra one. On the stand it is changing very well, although the trim function on my shifter seems to be borked. It gives a crack but doesn't move, which was one of the reasons for changing the mech. However small to big shift seems much better.

So I have new:-
BB cups
105 front mech
chain
cables
bar tape

I have a new rear mech in a box, and considered changing it as well, but I didn't see the point in doing it just for the sake of it.

That might not seem a lot to some of you guys, but considering a year ago I didn't even appreciate that bikes needed maintenance, I think I'm getting there!

Christopher

Über Member
Removed triple chainset and cranks from old Dawes racer. LH crank was a bit tight - took some force to undo and I smacked my face on the top tube when it finally yielded. Took off inner chainring and power-sanded it down for its new paint coatings. Very pleased it turned out so well.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Went to wheel the road bike out yesterday to put in the car and take it to work with me - with the plan of getting an hour in at lunchtime to start getting rid of the Christmas weight gain. To my absolute shame, I found that I hadn't finished cleaning it after my last ride, and bits were looking a bit claggy. Shame then gave way to horror when I noticed that the rear wheel was really quite sticky, and wouldn't spin more than a quarter turn without stopping :eek:

I popped it in the back of the car anyway - our bike usergroup at work has a dedicated bike workshop, so I wanted the use of a trueing stand and workstand. Got it there and through a process of elimination discovered that the axle was sticking... "I've got cartridge bearings", I thought, "I surely can't have cattled them so soon". As luck wouldn't have it, there was no lockring tool or chainwhip in the workshop and so all I could do was give things a bit of a clean, a squirt out with WD-40, and the application of some penetrating oil. Once I got it back home, it was off with the cassette, out with the white spirit, everything stripped, degreased, cleaned, dried, regreased, reassembled and finally lubed. To my immense relief, everything now spins freely again.

By way of pennance, I then went out and replenished my stocks of all things cleaning-related!

JosefK

Over the course of the last two days has seen me give the road bike a right going over. demounted and cleaned what I could that doesn't need too much readjustment.

Fitted swiss stops to the front and new lizard skin bar tape. Looking and feeling great.

Next up is the commuter which is in poor nick!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just replaced rear tyre and tube after 2nd puncture in a week. New tyre is a Conti Gatorskin folding 23mm. BIG struggle to get the tyre on - hope it stretches a bit before I have to deal with any roadside inner-tube related issues. :sad: Had to resort to a tyre lever - I could get the old tyre on using just my thumbs, but I think that one was pretty tight initially.

Top Bottom