What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Built a shelving unit. Or at least the main part of it, I don't like making DIY noises after 8pm

It's fixed above my bed head

If I post again after tonight, it stayed up. If you never hear from me again.....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Started working on the 'Lethal impact' bike whilst taking breaks between marking:

• Figured out why it won't turn right and fixed that, so it shouldn't try to kill me with this
  • Worked out why the brakes didn't work, so it shouldn't try to kill me with this either
  • Stripped ready for painting. Or rather part-stripped since it's a quick paint with what's lying about
  • Half-painted primer on ready for paint tomorrow on these bits

Well, my Land Rover Visalia had a new Suntour chainset, Shimano rear cassette & chain, a new pair bottle holders and a pair of full mudguards fitted this evening. Followed by an enjoyable bomb around Mousehold and Racecourse Heaths, and I enjoyed a quick tear around Pilling Park and the easy part of Lionwood on her.

Cyclist33

Tonight I fitted the cleats to my new shoes, what a pain in the ass that was, I don't even know if i did it right, but they do seem to clip into the pedals. Can't fit those tho, as no spanner.

Stu

Fettled the household bills and came to the conclusion that housemates owe me a grand total of £333

So that's a powder coating job and most of the parts that I need to rebuild my tourer into an "almost new" machine ^_^

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sripped and rebuilt front wheel on my fixed hack that's been making clonking noises like a loose spoke. There wasn't a loose one, but the tensions were all over the place and all too low. Of course I'll not be able to tell if noise has gone because I replaced the tyre at the same time with a studded job in anticipation of cold weather to come.

edindave

Über Member
Fitted new brake disc pads and bled the rear brake on the Boardman Hybrid Pro.

Fitted new narrower rear wheel and 9sp cassette & shifters - quill/ahead converter, lower stem and flat bars with bar ends. Much nicer now to ride, less wobbly, more precise and the gearing will help when pulling the trailer:

From this - upright "sit up and beg" 18 speed
b11-revolution-streetfinder-dl.jpg

To this: 27 speed with narrower (32 down from 38) tyres and a faster, less "wobble-along" riding position:

6807592369_c6681d854a_o.jpg

The shifters are interesting....I gambled on some SunRace M90 levers, with no Sunrace M90 review that i could find, I remember SunRace being cheap tat. Time, I suppose will tell - they are a little odd with the 2 levers like the old Exage-era STI levers, both under-bar push levers. They do seem to be quite precise and sure, the downshift is quite keen, only takes a very small light push, and shifts from 9th to 3rd in one quick push - good for quick stops without being stuck in a silly gear. Upshift is a little more "clunky" and will take some getting accustomed to, my finger was reaching for the rapidfire position on the first quick tootle into town today.

The left shifter doesn't have a "trim", there is just 1,2,3 so takes a bit more careful setting up. It's a little heavy in operation too, not recommended for small hands.
Also the indicator window sits inboard of the clamp so takes up a fair old chunk of cockpit space

6807599933_c6773fdda1_o.jpg

Thinking of buying the front wheel to match the rear, as this will mean in summer I can stick some 23s or similar on for a nippier ride (not keen on the wide cart-wheel rims that came as standard)

6807593773_261526b1f9_o.jpg

Attachments

• b11-revolution-streetfinder-dl.jpg
    b11-revolution-streetfinder-dl.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 6807592369_c6681d854a_o.jpg
    6807592369_c6681d854a_o.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 39
  • 6807599933_c6773fdda1_o.jpg
    6807599933_c6773fdda1_o.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 6807593773_261526b1f9_o.jpg
    6807593773_261526b1f9_o.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 34

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Cleaned and lubricated gear cables this evening, as i was riding in to work this morning the gears would not change properly, they feel nice again know, all this crap weather, roll on the spring.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Friday, I swapped a 175mm crankset that came fitted on my GTR5 ; for the 165mm that I like to spin.
Why, oh why do manufacturers fit oversized cranks to all their bikes these days!!!!
(My other bikes did come with 170mm, which my knees don't mind)

Top Bottom