What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i got the bike out, trued both wheels after my incident with a car (one is almost unrepairable but i'll replace it soon) swapped tyres with my wifes bike, just in the process of clearing an outside cupboard ready to fit a wall bracket to fit mine and the wifes bikes in there to get them out the house.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
I installed a pair of Marathon +s on the Cross. Actually turned out to be a doddle compared to the first time. Sore thumbs though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rear brake cable re-lubed on fixed -getting slightly sticky. MTB had the spikes fitted, and just had to ride it into work off road. Time for some retina searing on the way home in the dark (off road of course) Oh and the charger has picked up one duff AA cell that was in the cateye backup light to the magicshine. Need to find a spare.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Started to take apart an old sturmey archer 3speed hub with a view to reconditioning but stopped before I got too far into it untill I get a printout of how to put it back together again. Fettle fail.

peelywally

just fixed toilet , not cycling i know but i fettled a new gasket for the syphon out of a childs pencil case .

oh and i fitted my new p7 magicshine to bike , holy xxxx its bright .

Cubist

Still wavin'
Full service for the Boardman this afternoon, strip clean, new front brake pads, (amazingly the pads have lasted three years, and still have about a millimetre of pad left, but the front was starting to fade a bit). Gear cables lubed and re-indexed, BB shells removed, threads cleaned and retightened (trying to eliminate a squeak), paintwork T-Cut and waxed, drivetrain degreased and relubed with ceramic wax to see if it works in winter.......
whistling.gif

This evening I finished putting the SKS mudguards on, jaysus, what grief! I won't go in to it because its boring and I've already bored myself with a separate boring thread on how annoying it really was. At least I now have a winter rig.

I also took some triangular calculations of my Ribble (summer rig) and tried to replicate as best I could on my Giant Defy 3 (winter rig). I cleaned the cassette and drivetrain with an old toothbrush, lubed the chain and GT-85ed the pivotry. I also wanted to replace the stem with a spare Alutech one but couldn't as the diameter wouldn't fit, so flipped the old stem to replicate as best I could the summer rig. I changed the seat and brought it aft of its previous position.

I also fitted some old aluminium bottle holders and replaced the crap Cateye magnet with a spare flat one, designed for aero spokes like mine on the front wheel. I also fiddled with the rear brake cable tension and have the distinct feeling that the headset needs some grease.

Tomorrow, or thursday, take a look at the gears and how they're shifting. Been a while since I rode the Giant.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Big success replacing both front and rear mech gear cables earlier. Was well chuffed with how, uniquely for me, I'd had no problems. Until I rode the bike and found I only have 4 out of 8 gears (rear). O well. Won't fettle again tonight as I may throw the bike over the back hedge. At least the front mech seems reasonably OK despite a bit of crunching.

Just hope it gets me to work OK and I'll have another go tomorrow lunchtime. Sigh......

Cubist

Still wavin'
Big success replacing both front and rear mech gear cables earlier. Was well chuffed with how, uniquely for me, I'd had no problems. Until I rode the bike and found I only have 4 out of 8 gears (rear). O well. Won't fettle again tonight as I may throw the bike over the back hedge. At least the front mech seems reasonably OK despite a bit of crunching.

Just hope it gets me to work OK and I'll have another go tomorrow lunchtime. Sigh......

Newmarket? How many gears do you need?
whistling.gif

Seriously though, patience with a rear mech is very much in order. Once you've cracked it it'll all seem so obvious, but until then, I have shared your pain.....

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Fettled rear mudguard on commuter. Cunningly used an allen bolt fixed to the underside of the seat stay cross member when I fitted these guards without thinking about re-tightening the bolt if it came loose - hub gear so bit of a pain taking the wheel off. Anyway discovered that by letting the tyre down I get just enough room to fit an allen key in the gap to tighten the bolt.

Genius!

Ignore him, I used to lead a ride from Mildenhall bike rally called "so you think East Anglia is flat"
Back on topic, I have had an annoying ticking sound on my fixed for the last couple of weeks, did all the usual. chainring bolts, pedals stripped etc, no luck. I haven't got the right tool for removing the bottom bracket on this bike so took it in to Windmill Wheels, my mates shop and he refaced it and bored out the threads, quite a long job plus like me he is a perfectionist when it comes to bikes. Took it for a test run, problem solved, £20 including a tool for taking Keo pedals apart, bargain.

Top Bottom