What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Fitted pair of 25c conti gatorskins, and added a 11-32T cassette and MTB derailleur onto my road bike, and that's how it will stay until the clocks change again. (or if it turns out we have an exceptionally mild winter)

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Degreased, cleaned, relubed and refitted chain on my impossibly shiny hybrid.

gbb

Squire
Huh :sad: sometimes you get sucked into giving a helping hand...and soon begin to regret it.

Just walking across the yard at work, a lorry driver approached me (he's a regular to our site)...he thinks muck's got gragged though from his diesel tank, can i undo a fitting and blow it through back to the tank.

Yeah no problem, so long as you show me what to do cos i havn't a clue with injection systems.

I ended up undoing three very tight connections, various attempts to blow comressed air back to the tank, changed his fuel filter, then his engine started but was very lumpy, bled air from the injectors, then his battery went flat, spent half an hour looking for jump leads, then worried if it was a 24v system and how i'd connect a battery...thank the lord by the time i got back with the jump leads...a fork lift driver had given him a bump start with a forklift and all was running well.

Thanks christ for that :wacko: . Sometimes you just get dragged deeper and deeper.

On the plus side, last night i re fitted the wifes and my homebrew twin Cree front lights and battery packs, all charged up and now illuminating the whole street in front of us. :tongue:

Shame there's little chance of me getting out on the bike...too many hours at work, too far and not enough time to commute.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted the replacement Selle XO red saddle to the winter hack; a red Carrera Virtuoso, instead of the Selle Big Bum saddle which just hurt. For £10 it seems OK.

SASIXOGEL-CRO-RED_P1.jpg

http://www.planet-x-...-CRO-RED_P1.jpg

Borrowed some Electron rechargeable front lights off a mate at work to try on the ride home, and I've gotta say, "WOW", they are fantastic compared to the 'be seen' lights I have been using. They aren't the most modern things and have separate switches so your bars could get cluttered, but my computer is on the stem so I'm happy with the way they look.

I think I'm going to be in debt to my mate as I don't want to give them back :whistle:

I've been fettling an old Nigel Dean road bike .. a neighbour offered it to me so i've had it in the garage to see if it'l fit me but i dont think it will so it'l be going in the for sale section before to long as he just wants rid of it

IMG_0283.jpg

Foxy

I've been fettling an old Nigel Dean road bike .. a neighbour offered it to me so i've had it in the garage to see if it'l fit me but i dont think it will so it'l be going in the for sale section before to long as he just wants rid of it

That could be a nice bike. When you advertise it drop the stem and level the bars and the seat, the camera will thank you for it :thumbsup:

wakou

Über Member
Stripped and thoroughly cleaned and decrudulated drive train (jockey wheels were shocking! I think previous owner used marmalade for chainlube) . I then put on newish front wheel, I was worried about the bearings on this but once on are sliky smooth, just blow on it and it revolves for ever :biggrin:

Unfortunately once re-assembled, shifting is dog rough :wacko: so more fettling tomorrow

Night Train

Maker of Things
I squirted a bit more lube over the moving parts of Tiddles to try and kill the squeeks.

Then I fettled an alternative hitch and drawbar design for a trailer to fit a friend's Brompton.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fitted a new B&M Toplight LED Flat S permanent in place of the reflector on the Brompton, and put Sekuclips on all her spokes and stays.

danger mouse

Put the pedal back on after it worked loose at the weekend.

Thought I had fettled it before I went out tonight but I was wrong and it worked loose again.

The reason?

Sons had 'borrowed' my sockets and I didnt have a 14mm socket and driver so bodged it. Wrong....
icon_redface.gif

Came back and then bodged a 14mm ring spanner to fit. Ground it down so the ring fits.

Tight now (I think) but Im still nervous for my commute tomorrow.

Note to self. Lock your tools away. (Oh and get a torque wrench)

Top Bottom