What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Put new brake callipers and cables on the "abominable snow beast", new seat post fitted so now I can actually ride it.
Just need add some lights/reflectors and it will be ready for the snow, which we probably will not have for a few years now.

Now I have three working bikes, the main workhorse commuter hybrid, sunny day commuter road bike and the MTB snow beast, time to start thinking about the next one.:biggrin:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have now finished taking the clear laquer off my ali' hybrid frame (because it was getting tatty and patchy looking) and have finished brassoing the whole thing. As always it proved to be a much more time and labour intensive job than the initial test patch suggested but it is now finished and is perhaps the shiniest bike in the whole world.

Unfortunately I cannot now touch the frame with bare hands or it leaves a grease mark. Clear spray laquer is rubbish so I will just have to never ever touch the frame again. Obviously the shine will tarnish over time but I think that an even tarnish will look ok and also I will always be able to get it back to being so shiny it's virtualy invisible with a couple of hours brassoing. I can't see me doing it again in the near future but at least the option is there and is ultimately less expensive and time consuming than having a frame resprayed.

Swings and roundabouts.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I fitted 2 new tyres & charged my front lights up
biggrin.gif

Checked the tyre pressures on my commuter. It's not moved in over two weeks but each tyre had only dropped around 10psi :thumbsup:

Oiled the chain and did the general checks ready to get back on the commute from tomorrow. Noticed the brake pads are a bit mashed so I'll be ordering two pairs of THESE as soon as I can find my debit card :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I rebuilt the front hub bearings on my Brompton. It would seem ferrous oxide and water isn't a good lubricant.
I will need new cup, cones and balls to do a proper job of it though.

D

Deleted member 1258

My geared bike, Verenti Kilmeston, has been thoroughly cleaned, checked and the transmission cleaned and oiled, It will now be put away until the spring. My fixed, Pearson Touche, was cleaned and checked on Friday and all my riding will be fixed until the spring.

potsy

Rambler
My geared bike, Verenti Kilmeston, has been thoroughly cleaned, checked and the transmission cleaned and oiled, It will now be put away until the spring. My fixed, Pearson Touche, was cleaned and checked on Friday and all my riding will be fixed until the spring.

I knew there was something I forgot to do :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

I knew there was something I forgot to do :rolleyes:

With the fixed being my commuting bike it normally gets a check on a Friday afternoon, check tires for debris, check chain tension, adjust anything that needs adjusting and clean it if it needs it. This Friday I was a bit more thorough. My geared bike gets a check over after a Sunday ride, 74 miles this morning, but I was a bit more thorough today.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Greased my wheel bearings last night and set a new commuting record this morning adding and extra 1 MPH to my previous best average. Who knew that the slippery stuff could make such a difference? I thought that grinding noise was normal!
Also fitted my new lights which I can't wait to try out tonight :becool:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Stripped down the washing machine and awaiting the new drum bearings to arrive, then I'll have to put it all back together again :wacko:

Edit

Sigh main bearing seized into the sleeve of the drum, impossible to remove, now £750 lighter in the pocket due to her indoors buying a new washer :ohmy:

That was my Boardman CX money too :cry:

Stripped down the washing machine and awaiting the new drum bearings to arrive, then I'll have to put it all back together again :wacko:

Edit

Sigh main bearing seized into the sleeve of the drum, impossible to remove, now £750 lighter in the pocket due to her indoors buying a new washer :ohmy:

That was my Boardman CX money too :cry:

Use the old bearings in your BB, alah Obree, he was always better than Boardman anyway ;)

R600

Über Member
to the commuting bike i fitted a san marco ponza saddle, new chain and an mj818 rear light and a y splitter and a p7 front light that only works on the lowest setting so makes a good combination. i then had to take it for a test run in the dark (only 14 miles). cracking night for it :thumbsup:

Top Bottom