What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a new quick link and new rear dérailleur to install :blush: I also have a slightly sprained left wrist so they may sit in the box but something else tells me to fit them ;)

About to get on my bike for the ride home tonight and noticed the rear wheel rubbing against the brake blocks at one point ... a broken spoke.

When home, managed to find a suitable replacement in the parts bin, although a different colour.
As the spoke was a drive side one I needed to remove the sprocket (fixed wheel) and after much huffing and cussing it came loose only to jam tight. I had forgotten to remove the lock ring, so at least I now know that works. Anyway, there were no more dramas and the spoke was replaced quickly and the wheel re trued and back on the bike in a few minutes.

I then moved onto the front mech on the rebuild Claude Butler. I took it off and decided to give it one final shot at undoing the screw. This time I took the option presented by HovR and gripped the head with a mole grip. Success, the thing turned. A bit of a clean up of the threads and put the mech back on and adjusted. The shifting is not perfect, but it is as good as I can get it, so the bike is fully operational and ready for duty.

Bicycle

Found fixie with a flat front tyre today.... sitting on a smooth concrete floor. Very cross. Grrrr.

While putting in new tube (old'un ripped round valve) I decided to change to an old 700x20 tyre.

This meant changing the rear too.

This meant getting despondant about how filthy the chain looked.

This meant cleaning and re-lubing, which meant checking the chain for wear. still inside 0.75%, so OK there. Only just.

This meant (as I was cleaning) giving the whole bike a wipe and adjusting the brakes.

Rims were grubby with brake rubber, so the wheels were cleaned.

While doing all this, I decided to change the saddle for one that is no better or worse. Not even very different at all.

Then... I stuck a Crank Bros sticker on the underside of the downtube.... My bike (hitherto unadorned) now has its first sticker.

Not sure I like the narrower tyres, the saddle or the sticker. I quite liked the brakes the way they were, with more movement at the lever.

It all looks a bit funny now that it's clean; and I'm going to be worrying about chain wear now.

I should have read a book instead.

C

chillyuk

I spent most of the day T Cutting my car with colour match T Cut, (an estate so plenty to do) then polishing it with Mer polish. It is red, and was going pale in places, but now it is a deep red with an almost mirror shine. A good day's work.

snorri

Legendary Member
My front lamp fell off last week, I bought a replacement, a B&M Lumotec oval plus and fitted it today. This is the first time I have had to do any work on the B&M dynamo lighting system since I bought my bicycle new in Oct 2000.:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

My fixed this afternoon. Cleaned adjusted and relubed the chain, a little more air in the back tyre, checked the tyres for debris, adjusted the brakes, had a general check round the bike for problems, washed and polished it. All in preparation for Sundays forum ride.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

gbb

Squire
Had a fair sized gash in my rear Gator for the last 2000 miles or so, had it reinforced with some Teflon weave stuff we had at work, remarkably strong stuff....but i had a sudden deflation about a mile from home yesterday, so that was going to be the first port of call.
Yep, sure enough that was it. Closer inspection showed the hole now has clear light passing through it, so i thought it's a visit to the LBS, then remembered ive got another gashed tyre in the shed...and found a good Gator on a spare wheel :thumbsup:

Puncture repaired, tyres swapped over and found its real real easy to remove glass and shards from the tyre when its off the wheel, just pinch around the hole and the glass falls out.

Going to oil the chain in a while.

Non cycling...the wife was cleaning a rug with the daughters Vax, suction wasn't very good. A little investigation showed the gasket on the suction side has deformed, giving a bad seal. Re-fitted the gasket and its much better. Told the daughter we'd get her a new gasket...you can't buy them :ohmy: .

Going to have to make one out of something...poor service from Vax, a £2 item that'll render a machine useless...and they don't supply one.

All this was with the aid of three cuppas...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
the wife was cleaning a rug with the daughters Vax, suction wasn't very good.

ohmy.gif
I'm sure that's illegal!
ohmy.gif
smile.gif

Attachments

• ohmy.gif
    ohmy.gif
    261 bytes · Views: 46

potsy

Rambler
Put my studded tyres on the hybrid, bring on the ice age :cold:

Also adjusted the mirror, and put a bit more packing on the handlebars so the Hopes can be quickly switched between bikes, about to fit a computer to Mrs Potsy's bike now.

Top Bottom