What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Put 5psi in my rear tyre.

The track pump had a little go at fighting me. And I’ve heard about it - but for the first time ever - I came across an Aluminium valve cap trying to ‘weld itself’ to the valve 😳

So after an unbelievably hard / hot day at work: to do this without swearing, throwing parts or pi55ing those off around me is definitely up there with some of my greatest achievements; and worthy of mention 👊

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of bits of fettling for me recently: Firstly a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 belonging to the wife of a friend who wanted it serviced and updated so as to get back into cycling. I've changed the chain, fitted a more recent Sora derailleur so it'll manage an 11-34 cassette, changed brake blocks, cables and tyres (a tricky request as white tread Vittoria Zaffiro were original equipment, which are no longer available as far as I could find - I found some whitewall Michelin Dynamic Sport that were accepted instead) and done a general checkover (lots of sealed bearings that will last ages yet). It's not the lightest road bike out there but she really likes it and hasn't got on with other lighter bikes, so worth the update IMO.

Next was my Dawes Galaxy. As some might recall, I fitted 165mm cranks on my Raleigh Pioneer Jaguar this year and have got on well with them. I decided I wanted the same on my Galaxy and have had the parts in for a few weeks. I got the chance to fit them yesterday. All went fairly well although fitting the non-drive side cup for the new BB took a while and some false starts as it was really keen to cross-thread. I've tested it today and it seems good so far. Lots of Strava PBs on the test route suggest that I must have done something right.:addict:

Looking forward to getting some miles in on it now.

buzz22

Über Member
20240720_145625.jpg

My Cannondale got what I think will be an almost final change- a set of period correct 36 spoke Rigida wheels on some beautiful Shimano 600 Tricolor hubs.
As a heavier rider (130kg or around 285 pounds) I'm always worried that the wheels I have on my bikes aren't rated for my size.
This set should be fine as the Rigidas are fairly strong (I've had them before), the hubs are bulletproof and 36 spokes is the way to go.
Not the latest, lightest or prettiest but my mind is at ease.

Finally unboxed and assembled my new Wibble.

View attachment 738060
Very nice.
The CGR Ti got:

• a new stem (-20g inclusive of Garmin mount)
  • seatpost (-20g - but only because I shortened it)
  • Tubolito Tubo Road tubes (-200g for the pair)
  • Continental GP5000 tyres (-40g for the pair over the Continental Grand Prix silver label)
  • Rack, trunk bag and trunk bag contents removed (-3060g)
  • Garmin Edge 540 instead of the old eTrex Vista HCx (-80g)

I fitted a medium Topeak Aero Wedge with a mini pump, two CO2 cartridges and inflator, Tubolito S-Road tube, Tubolito patch kit, 2x tyre levers, spare CR1632 battery, quick link, mini tool and that comes to 580g. 480g if I leave out the CO2, which I'm tempted to do.

That means the bike, including pedals, bottle cages, mudguards, computer and lights weighs in at 10.2kg instead of the previous 13.3kg.

Still waiting on delivery of some new shoes, which means I can switch out to some new SPD-SL pedals and some hopefully lighter (160g) handlebars, which will hopefully bring it down to 10kg.

After that, I'll look into lighter thru-axles as the stock ones have a bit of heft and maybe some lighter bottle cages. I don't think there's much more I can do after that without getting into silly money.

Last edited:

Conrad_K

Unloaded the KMX trike from the truck, set it on its workstand, and started down my list. I started by re-clocking the left handlebar outward a bit to match the right handlebar, which should be more comfortable.

Next, I looked at the right-front brake, which was grabbing and making plaintive noises when applied. I removed the caliper and the pads. The pads looked pretty rough and had some grooves. I ran them across some sandpaper to smooth them a bit, then sandpapered both sides of the rotor and put it all back together. I'll do a quick test ride tomorrow to see if the brake is working better.

I nailed a pothole with the right wheel a couple of rides ago, and after that the tire had a visible lump when turning. The tire was no longer seated properly into the rim. I deflated it, kneaded all the way around, and reinflated it. That seemed to fix it.

I had noticed a creaking sound when making left turns. None of the spokes were loose, though I questioned how tight they were. I ordered a spoke tightness gauge since I'm too deaf to make much use of the "plunk test." The rim seems to have about 1/8" of both radial and lateral runout, while the left rim spins straight. I'll deal with that when the tension gauge arrives.

Lastly, the seat cover had pulled loose. The seat seems to be several pieces of plastic attached to a metal frame, with some loose foam and a mesh cover that has a drawstring retainer. I had noted what looks like clear silicone bathtub caulk the previous owner had used to try to secure the cover to the metal frame; it had pulled loose as I rode. It was getting hot, so I tucked the cover back around the plastic bits and tightened the drawstring. It's not properly on there, but it will do for now. I need to take the whole thing apart and see how it is made, and maybe I can suss out how it's supposed to be tightened down.

Gillstay

Veteran
I bet it's quiet, and it won't go rusty in a hurry :laugh:.

There is that, but I find it annoys me to see good components wasted. Got a little Isla bike to just check over and do a puncture on for a very polite and bright little girl and it will give me such pleasure. The difference in satisfaction between working on the two bikes is huge.

Dadam

Über Member
Not today but spent Saturday afternoon and some of Sunday morning trying to clean crud off chain and cassette for a bike that has clearly spent some time in a garage not being ridden.

The black stuff caked round the jockey wheel and all over the chain just laughed at my usual squirt of GT85 and "mickling" with a rag. I don't know if it was wax, caked oil, or "dry lube". The bit at the bottom of the jockey wheel took significant pressure with a thumbnail to dislodge a chunk and rubbing with a rag on this stuff stood no chance. It had the consistency of dry glue. It took soaking overnight in petrol plus a stiff brush and a lot of elbow grease to shift. It was all over the chain inside and out, and ridged inside the cassette where pushed by the chain.

IMG_1328 - Copy.JPEG

Punkawallah

Über Member
Not today but spent Saturday afternoon and some of Sunday morning trying to clean crud off chain and cassette for a bike that has clearly spent some time in a garage not being ridden.

The black stuff caked round the jockey wheel and all over the chain just laughed at my usual squirt of GT85 and "mickling" with a rag. I don't know if it was wax, caked oil, or "dry lube". The bit at the bottom of the jockey wheel took significant pressure with a thumbnail to dislodge a chunk and rubbing with a rag on this stuff stood no chance. It had the consistency of dry glue. It took soaking overnight in petrol plus a stiff brush and a lot of elbow grease to shift. It was all over the chain inside and out, and ridged inside the cassette where pushed by the chain.

View attachment 738484

Flat screwdriver against the jockey wheel and turn the wheel against the sccrewdriver?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
(It amazes me that I hadn't thought of this before, but I hadn't... :whistle:)

I watched a YouTube video showing how to line up a handlebar stem with a front wheel. The secret is to... (drum roll)

... line up the stem with the wheel!!! :wacko:

(By looking down the edge of the stem and making sure that it's parallel to the edge of the wheel.)

My 6-speed bike was ok but the stem was rotated slightly anticlockwise on my CAAD5. Now corrected!

I will check my other bikes the same way.

Conrad_K

It took soaking overnight in petrol plus a stiff brush and a lot of elbow grease to shift. It was all over the chain inside and out, and ridged inside the cassette where pushed by the chain.

Good: a previous owner at least tried to lube it.

Bad: what they lubed it with.

Worse: guess who got to clean it up?

View attachment 738484

We frequently see this on bikes we renovate. Goodness knows what people lube them with.

Top Bottom