What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
And the after pic

IMG_1332.jpeg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Regreased the headset bearings on the CX bike. The steering had gotten 'stiff' after a very muddy ride. Turns out the 'top' bearing was stiff. Removed seals and cleaned out with white spirit, then marine greased them. I hav now got the bearing code off them. Fortunately both the same and readily available. I'll replace them shortly.

The rear tubeless tyre on my road bike p'tured and sealed both Saturday and Sunday, and it done the same last Saturday (although it was fine on Sunday). So I decided that it had seen enough and ordered a replacement. I was browsing around for a 28mm to replace the 25mm but they were all out of stock. Then I spotted one that was available next day before 1pm. Lol, with my contact lenses in (Auld age Blindness) I failed to notice it was a 32mm wide tyre. Dubious it would fit I fitted it dry and to my surprise it seated first thing and was a quite good fit.
20240722_181107.jpg

I then took the bike for a few miles round the local estate roads/ path which are yet to have its top coat, and the dry tyre held air fine without rub. So I came back and stuck sealant in.

Punkawallah

Über Member
We frequently see this on bikes we renovate. Goodness knows what people lube them with.

I suspect a lack of cleaning and failing to wipe off excess chain lube that has mixed with road muck. Lovely :-‘

I don't often have a camera with me at work so I took full advantage today.

1: A rather lovely if elderly Peugeot Mixte. This will go for 95€ but I couldn't resist parking it in the premier spot for a few days...

2024_07_23_Peugeot.jpg

2: Random BMX:

2024_07_23_BMX.jpg

3: A very nice if anonymous racing bike. This looked like a wreck on arrival with the 105 brifters attached to butterfly bars and no headset. The headset isn't perfect but it was all I had. At least the rest of the bike is now presentable...

2024_07_23_Racer.jpg

I'm particularly pleased that the bar tape only took about four failed attempts to get right...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bent the rear derailleur back on my 6-speed bike!

I accidentally dropped the bike post-ride a couple of days ago*** and forgot to check it before riding it again. It was very quickly obvious that there was a problem on my ride this evening so I turned round and went straight home. I put the bike up on my stand and quickly spotted what the problem was. I was careful not to over-bend the mech and everything seems to be running ok now. I'll test it out on the road tomorrow.

*** I forgot how having one pannier on the bike makes it tend to tip over when moving slowly. It feels ok when riding it, but odd when walking with it.

Top Bottom