What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evaluated a couple of bikes; one nice elderly Motobecane rendered irreparable because the owner had built an entirely incompatible gear shifter/mech/cassette combination, and non-standard wheel sizes.
Second was a Kiddie bike strangely with the same problem of wheel size. It also had tyres with splits in the wall, and a chain coated with what appeared to be glue and sand. Both bikes were marked for scrapping, although we could salvage some parts from the kiddie bike.
I had more success with an elderly and decidedly ugly Kettler gent's aluminium bike with Shimano Positron gearing, which is now on sale for 55€.

Gunk

Guru
That’s a nice bike.Nice to see a bike not hidden by massive fairing’s

Did some more on it today, I’ll post a progress report tomorrow as the rear wheel is coming out for a deeper clean

Gunk

Guru
A bit more cleaning today, removed the front wheel and detailed the whole front end and under the seat. Rear wheel out tomorrow

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

Starting a disaster of a Gudereit city bike. Are these common in the UK? The bike looks like it's been ridden in all weathers then stored in a cowshed for a decade. The parts are very good though so I'm hoping it'll be a nice bike once the grime is sorted.

The cable on the Nexus 8 gear hub is broken so I've made a wooden jig for measuring the new one to the correct 101mm length between securing crimp and cable.

Starting a disaster of a Gudereit city bike. Are these common in the UK? The bike looks like it's been ridden in all weathers then stored in a cowshed for a decade. The parts are very good though so I'm hoping it'll be a nice bike once the grime is sorted.

The cable on the Nexus 8 gear hub is broken so I've made a wooden jig for measuring the new one to the correct 101mm length between securing crimp and cable.

Completed and looking pretty spiffy. It'll probably get a price of 125-150 € depending how the "new parts" cost works out.

Punkawallah

Über Member
New chain on the Galaxy. Thought it was noisy :-)

That's a summer bike surely?

i would need to get a few cycles on it to make sure i get no mechanicals. i'm a bit wary of it after breaking the chain.
also it felt odd with the thin tyres. i've got used to my thicker tyres 😩
it's stored for now but you're right, if i do end up taking it on the road it will be in the summer months, and then have it on the trainer over the winter

Top Bottom