What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The saddle was it.
Attached a Cambium C17 and... Sound of Silence.

Now the remaining question is: how to denoise a Cambium C15?

E.

My Brooks Flyer does the same. Fortunately, my tourer seems to have a permanent collection of rattles, despite all screws and bolts being firmly attached, so it's drowned out by the cacophony.

finished refurbishing my 2009 Focus Cayo 105.
new gear / brake housings and cables all round. new bar tape. every other part stripped and cleaned. i still have the receipt for it, cost £824.25 from the now defunct Wiggle.
weight is just shy of 8.5Kg. my new bike is 12Kg (with accessories albeit) , so I like to think i'm fitter carrying that extra weight around ^_^ having said that i pushed up all the same hills on a 12-27 cassette on the Cayo (largest ring on the new bike is 34 :sweat:). sad thing is i think this is just going into storage now. i have a plan to use it on the turbo trainer over the winter months. need to get some clipless pedals for it just.

20240707_183546.jpg

EckyH

My Brooks Flyer does the same. Fortunately, my tourer seems to have a permanent collection of rattles, despite all screws and bolts being firmly attached, so it's drowned out by the cacophony.
Noisy bicycles are much more sluggish than silent ones...

My suspicion regarding the C15 saddle is the mechanics at the saddle nose. Chain wax seemingly has too high viscosity, so I'll try spray wax next time. Spray wax already silenced the SPD pedal cleat shoe area.

E.

Conrad_K

I ordered a USB-rechargeable taillight for my bicycle. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever, but it sounded better than playing the battery game.

It was a cheap light from eBay. Before installing it, I looked on the back of the package, which says: (caps, spaces, and punctuation replicated)

---------------------------------------

DC-918
Health * Safety riding friend

Directions for Use

Slender shape with reat edge
Rodad columnar beam design,lit
Like a sharp blade pierced the paint
Black night sky, Ultra-wide exposure
range Wai,provide more security.
Elastic bandage new design will firmly
Solid installation in a variety of difffemt
shapes, Diameter of the vehicle body.
Compact, lightwait LI Fail, foil of
Design sense, will each Very stylish.
cars on the species.

Before using this product, pleaseread
carefully This manual and save for
future reference. Print statements
may be slightly different from
theBright actual distribution.

Britsh Consumers'Association
When you use this light for recycling
should be British Standard 6102/3
period optical connestion.

Made in China

That's what I get for actually looking at the instructions... it's one of the more egregious examples of Chinglish I've encountered.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I ordered a USB-rechargeable taillight for my bicycle. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever, but it sounded better than playing the battery game.

It was a cheap light from eBay. Before installing it, I looked on the back of the package, which says: (caps, spaces, and punctuation replicated)

DC-918
Health * Safety riding friend

Directions for Use

Slender shape with reat edge
Rodad columnar beam design,lit
Like a sharp blade pierced the paint
Black night sky, Ultra-wide exposure
range Wai,provide more security.
Elastic bandage new design will firmly
Solid installation in a variety of difffemt
shapes, Diameter of the vehicle body.
Compact, lightwait LI Fail, foil of
Design sense, will each Very stylish.
cars on the species.

Before using this product, pleaseread
carefully This manual and save for
future reference. Print statements
may be slightly different from
theBright actual distribution.

Britsh Consumers'Association
When you use this light for recycling
should be British Standard 6102/3
period optical connestion.

Made in China

That's what I get for actually looking at the instructions... it's one of the more egregious examples of Chinglish I've encountered.

Be thankful you were spared the extra Ring of Hell that was ‘80s Japanese camera instruction books :-)

C R

Guru
Be thankful you were spared the extra Ring of Hell that was ‘80s Japanese camera instruction books :-)

Try Korean translations

Noisy bicycles are much more sluggish than silent ones...

My suspicion regarding the C15 saddle is the mechanics at the saddle nose. Chain wax seemingly has too high viscosity, so I'll try spray wax next time. Spray wax already silenced the SPD pedal cleat shoe area.

E.

Any sluggishness my bikes demonstrate is entirely due to the rider, I'm afraid.

finished refurbishing my 2009 Focus Cayo 105.
new gear / brake housings and cables all round. new bar tape. every other part stripped and cleaned. i still have the receipt for it, cost £824.25 from the now defunct Wiggle.
weight is just shy of 8.5Kg. my new bike is 12Kg (with accessories albeit) , so I like to think i'm fitter carrying that extra weight around ^_^ having said that i pushed up all the same hills on a 12-27 cassette on the Cayo (largest ring on the new bike is 34 :sweat:). sad thing is i think this is just going into storage now. i have a plan to use it on the turbo trainer over the winter months. need to get some clipless pedals for it just.

View attachment 736837

I used to have one of them. Fantastic bike for the money. Sadly I fell on hard times and I had to sell it.

I used to have one of them. Fantastic bike for the money. Sadly I fell on hard times and I had to sell it.

i didn't have much of a clue about road bikes back when i bought it. everyone was just saying buy it, it's a great buy for the money. think it was reduced as it was the previous years model. it served me well for 10+ years. upgraded the wheels, changed the crank, replaced parts and fell of it several times over that period :blush:
like you i was ready to sell it on but glad i kept it. was good to work on and learn a few more things

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
£8.06. That’s not a typo - I repeat: Eight pounds and six whole new pence. Infact likely the best eight pounds I’ve ever spent on a bicycle period.

New resin pads fitted front and rear. (Offset of resin can be fade…..living in flat Suffolk with no hills and hence no prolonged time spent on the brakes in one go) - this is unlikely to be a concern.

Fitting was a doodle (These hold in magnetically). And as the pistons retracted easily - and had caused no problems before - I left them well alone.

20-odd emergency stops to bed them in and the difference is unbelievable. Old pads had loads of meat on. But I suspect were contaminated. Hence why I changed.

These may only be mechanical stoppers. And I’m sure the lever pressure required is huge compared to hydraulics. But the ability to lock a wheel from high speed / making the tyres chirp as they fight for grip is obvious.

I am the king of leaving Black marks on the road again. Anyone thinking any different can meet me in Halfords car park later for a ‘skid-off’ 👌🤣👌

Attachments

• IMG_4303.jpeg
    IMG_4303.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4304.jpeg
    IMG_4304.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Top Bottom