What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Sports direct pinnacle white cycling shoes, colour was a big mistake as we are entering winter. Only used them once and they covered in oil on one side. Nice shoes better the entry level over priced shimano sh*t I had been using up until now. No doubt someone will at some stage tell me how crap they are but who cares :smile:

The Pinnacle stuff is pretty good, it was Evans own brand, so most of the stock is pre Mike Ashley, they’ve got some really cheap Pinnacle Jerseys and Shorts in SD at the moment.

Alex321

Guru
The Pinnacle stuff is pretty good, it was Evans own brand, so most of the stock is pre Mike Ashley, they’ve got some really cheap Pinnacle Jerseys and Shorts in SD at the moment.

Evans and SD have been linked for a long time, and Evans "own brand" bikes have been the main cycle stock sold by SD.

Gunk

Guru
Red clamp set for the Brompton, these are like hens teeth (they only made them for a very limited time) so ended up paying far too much.

IMG_1570.jpeg

A Trek hybrid of some kind from faceache market place for £40 notes. I'm not even sure which model it is. Has a monostay. Vee brakes. And what looks like a triple chain set.

It looks about the right size, but I think this one will get cleaned up, tuned up and flipped.

rivers

How far can I go?
The new Tailfin bar bag- big money, but the sale of many of the bar bags that didn't work for me should cover a good chunk of it.

A Trek hybrid of some kind from faceache market place for £40 notes. I'm not even sure which model it is. Has a monostay. Vee brakes. And what looks like a triple chain set.

It looks about the right size, but I think this one will get cleaned up, tuned up and flipped.

Yeah that turned out not to be such a great buy.

I'm guessing it's 2015/2016 model. It's crusty and unloved. Rear rim doesn't have any meat left on it. The original derailleur has been replaced with an Altus C10 derailleur. Chain is as crusty as they come. Headset is floppy. It has a front wheel with a Deore hub though.

Seller claimed it was shop bought. I really doubt they've owned the bike from new. I'll be checking the serial number against bikeregister.com.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'll start by cleaning it up and giving it a more thorough assessment.

Last edited:
@PedallingNowhereSlowly - I've been stung similarly a couple of times in the past year. The last one I stripped and made far more than my money back as parts, embarrassingly I sold most of them to a single buyer. A couple of items I simply gave him in the end.

That's the 'head' decision. And the only one that makes good economic sense.
If the front wheel isn't pringled, it's probably worth what I paid for the whole bike.

However, the heart says it's shame to waste a good frame (if it's not bent). It definitely has potential to be a good pub/beater bike.

Top Bottom