What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My Aliexpress light arrived today, it was about £13 landed.

The mount wasn’t quite right, far too tight, but I had a spare male Garmin repair kit so I fitted that and it’s perfect.

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

Dadam

Über Member
@Gunk Nice neat solution. How does it get power, is it just separately rechargeable with its own integral battery or can it draw power from the Garmin? Alternatively if the former, can it power the Garmin? I'm not seeing any electrical contacts so probably not?

Gunk

Guru
@Gunk Nice neat solution. How does it get power, is it just separately rechargeable with its own integral battery or can it draw power from the Garmin? Alternatively if the former, can it power the Garmin? I'm not seeing any electrical contacts so probably not?

It’s rechargeable, doesn’t provide any charge to the Garmin but as you say a nice neat solution

si_c

Guru
Ordered a new left crank arm (105 7000 series), after mine decided it wasn't going to stay put any more on my ride today. When I got home (some walking, then a kind gentleman gave me a lift home - he is a cyclist too), it turned out the tines were pretty well stripped.

£39 including postage from the bay.

Reminds me I have a spare left side crank lying around somewhere - the downside of getting a third party power meter can be that you have a free, and now somewhat useless spare arm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a puncture last week, caused by what turned out to be an absolutely tiny sliver of glass in the tyre. It was extremely hard to find!

I used a magnifying glass at home to examine the tyre. That is too big to carry about with me but it struck me that a smaller magnifier would be a handy addition to the tool kit.

I found something suitable on eBay for under £3...

Magnifier.jpeg

8mph

Veteran
A 26 x 2" folding Mondial tyre to keep the Sardar on the road during winter. If I can squeeze one on the front I'll buy more. The ride quality of this bike is lush and I'm tempted by so so many potential grades. This tyre was under £40 thankfully!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This evening I picked up a new-to-me frameset, ostensibly to replace the Viner Mitus 'winter' bike I have. Today's audax clearly demonstrated the limitations of using a pure race bike as a winter bike, with the tyres constantly scraping the mudguard mounts and eventually clogging.

It's a 2018 Ridley Fenix SL frameset. Son no. 2 has a 2017 one, but the standard version. The build will be done either over Christmas/New Year if the weather's awful or at some point when I can get the time to swap components between the two. I paid probably more than I would normally but as it's the SL version that's OK to me.

s-l1600.jpg

This is the Viner for comparison. Looks good but completely inappropriate for winter use with far too little mudguard clearance, particularly at the brake mount points/fork:

pxl_20230526_064726354-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom