What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've ordered a SRAM Rival 11 speed right shifter/brake unit and rear derailleur to convert my last remaining 10 speed bike to 11 speed to match the other six. Done in order to cut down on the amount of spares I need to keep in stock.

All financed by selling off the massive excess of 10 speed spares I had in the shed.
Despite it being from a well known retailer's Ebay outlet, they've sent me a left hand brake only unit as used in 1x systems so out of the window goes Monday's planned fettling and back to the seller the item goes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A few bits and pieces in the last couple of weeks:

- Two pairs of the Specialized BG Comp shoes I really like but are never available. Then two pop up extremely reasonably priced - so I've now two pairs.
- A Conti GP 5000 S TR tyre
- A Dura-Ace cassette from a test bike
- Some cables

Oh, and I blame @biggs682 for this one - the bike linked here back mid-August. A lovely seller and it's in excellent condition:

PXL_20240903_085300346.jpg

The 531 frame is almost as new with a 12-speed Suntour VX set-up. Wheels and metalwork needs polishing, it'll need a Shimano front skewer plus new bar tape and proper top tube clips rather than cable ties. Sadly the Selle Italia Rolls saddle is damaged so I'll source a replacement. I'm not sure of the date of the bike but guessing early 80's; there's no visible frame number but I may get in touch with the shop and see if they have records.

Emanresu

Was looking for some Ti handlebars to replace the gold colour Al ones that came with the bike. Decided after looking at comparisons that I would go for some Selcof carbon bars to go with the Selcof carbon forks already on the bike. Still looking for a seatpost but that can wait for a while.

Planet X are having a sale so have almost covered the cost of the new items selling the old ones on Ebay.

Added: Next day delivery from Planet X was amazingly the very next day.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Accidentally bought a new frame, it was up for £500 or best offer, they accepted £330. Kinesis Racelight 4S Disc. I now need new wheels, bars, stem, seatpost and groupset. I do have a saddle and mudguards though!

For now it will probably get boxed away and put in the garage until I have all the bits I need - it's going to make a great winter bike.

1725355375281.png

Windle

Über Member
Found yesterday in a charity shop by the wife, a Selle SanMarco Touno saddle for a bargain £5. It looks new and still had the cardboard attached. Possibly NOS? The manufacture date stamped underneath was indicating late March '96. Apparently gel equipped as well according to the printing. Its certainly grippy enough and would have made an ideal time trial perch if I still rode them. I've put it on my (period correct?) Trek 810 Singletrack for now. I'll see if it's any good once I've had a decent ride out, although I've always got on with all different types of saddles.

GOPR1247.JPG

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
After originally being determined to keep the current daily / beater going; the realisation its not economically viable - had me looking at new options. Inc a Gravel bike, a Trek Dual Sport 1 etc

An unplanned trip to Halfords today; saw me able to view the modern version of the Carrera Subway 1 I’ve been using (Actually my Sons) up close. And it looked shockingly good if I’m honest. (Brand snobs; feel free to move on 😄). Especially as its reduced right now from £345 to £276.

I collect when I return from Holidays on the 17th….

IMG_5329.jpeg

si_c

Guru
Had a rummage in the garage, found a groupset, disc brakes, seat post, bars, stem and saddle.

Sorted some new wheels out - I was debating rebuilding an older set I have and I'll probably do that some other time but a new wheelset was cheaper than a new dynamo hub. Popped into the LBS today got some new rotors, chain, bar tape, cables and some miscellaneous bolts I know I'm missing.

Looks like bike build day tomorrow.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Some cable clips for the bike above, as the previous owner used tie straps.

A smaller width vintage Cinelli Giro D'Italia bar for the Raleigh SBDU project plus a Dura Ace 7900 crankset for the same project: I wanted everything matching 7900 and this in 50/34 but finding a really nice one hasn't been easy. The one I bought was a bit spendy, but still ... that's everything now. Just need to build it.

Jameshow

Veteran
Found yesterday in a charity shop by the wife, a Selle SanMarco Touno saddle for a bargain £5. It looks new and still had the cardboard attached. Possibly NOS? The manufacture date stamped underneath was indicating late March '96. Apparently gel equipped as well according to the printing. Its certainly grippy enough and would have made an ideal time trial perch if I still rode them. I've put it on my (period correct?) Trek 810 Singletrack for now. I'll see if it's any good once I've had a decent ride out, although I've always got on with all different types of saddles.

View attachment 744007

Bet it's a turbo copy?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've ordered a SRAM Rival 11 speed right shifter/brake unit and rear derailleur to convert my last remaining 10 speed bike to 11 speed to match the other six. Done in order to cut down on the amount of spares I need to keep in stock.

All financed by selling off the massive excess of 10 speed spares I had in the shed.

Despite it being from a well known retailer's Ebay outlet, they've sent me a left hand brake only unit as used in 1x systems so out of the window goes Monday's planned fettling and back to the seller the item goes.
Let's have another go at getting the right unit. They've listed another couple of shifters and dropped me a message just before they went live so I could have first pick. Paid for using the refund from the first order.

I have been busy;

I got two new panaracer tyres after running over glass which I couldn’t avoid, it’s delaminated the tyre bead edge where the glass was dragged along and no longer sits rounded on the rim.

A pair of Danish Endurance bib shorts to replace a pair of old gore ones.

An insulated coffee mug.

From banana industries a bargain pair of SPD pedals. Look to be cheaper than a set of cleats which are included. https://www.bananaindustries.co.uk/products/wilier-pd-sm01-mtb-spd-pedals-ball-bearing

Top Bottom