What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bid on a pile of things this week on eBay and elsewhere, winning only a cable set. Ah well, you win some and you lose some. However, this morning I've picked up an Edco ultra-lightweight cassette reasonably cheaply. I've a pair of wheels that'll go on ...

DCLane

Been a bit of a spendy wheel-related day;

Firstly, picked up a Parcours 40mm rear wheel - I've a 40mm front / 64mm rear - so can mix/match. Just need some decals to match. Oh, and this was the make which struggled to fit tyres!

Also, a pair of carbon wheels with tyres after a bit of to-and-fro with a seller.

Finally, a bike. Not intended to but no-one else bought it and the cheeky offer I made was accepted. A trip to the seaside in a fortnight to collect is calling ...

As much as I hate giving money to Frasers Group (Evans Cycles) ... I really regretted not buying more of the DHB apparel whilst it was readily available.

So, with gritted teeth I've sprung for:

• A short sleeved jersey - as I don't actually own one
  • A long sleeved jersey - means I can dispose of the last loose fitting Altura jersey which was worn past it's best 10 years ago
  • Some thermal non-bib tights, which means I have a pair bought this decade. I prefer bib tights but couldn't get affordable ones in a medium/large and I think £100 (after discount!) for a pair is way too much
  • A pair of cycling shorts; I don't wear them for my daily riding but I figure I should have more than one pair. The older sets quickly disintegrated after returning to the saddle - possibly something to do with the less svelt figure I had late last year
  • Hi vis summer and winter gloves - I do have perfectly good gloves already but having read a few papers on cycling conspicuity, this seems like an improvement worth making (big blocks of high viz are not necessarily helpful)
  • A set of Ride Concepts Wild Cat shoes - for riding flat pedals. I've been riding my town bike and MTB in an overly tired pair of trainers.

The total saving outweighed the purchase price of that lot but it still seemed fairly expensive. I'm still used to what cycling apparel cost 10 or 20 years ago. I can certainly recall the best part of a couple hundred quid going a lot further!

I managed to pick up a second Cateye Viz 300 light which seems to be discounted to £24 on Amazon today - that means I'll be running a pair on the town bike, as well as the rear dynamo LED, integral saddle light and helmet light. Still pondering improving night-time side-on visibility. I think these are a good idea, but way to spendy. Potentially on the hunt for some rechargeable spoke lights.

Last edited:

DCLane

Rather than in a fortnight an early morning trip to East Yorkshire occurred and I've picked up a NeilPryde Nazaré. Yes, it's the same one as I posted in the 'Bargain' thread on Wednesday at £450 but the price kept dropping and no-one else bought it. I won't post what I paid though, although the seller needed payment this morning so was willing to take a significant discount :whistle:

s-l1600.jpg

It's hardly used and appears to be another purchase where the bike is ridden a couple of times and then put away. Came without the shoes shown in the original posting but everything else including a fully-kitted saddle bag. I'm pleased with that overall.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Sort of cycling related, but despite only having placed a couple of orders and not having used them for many years Veloforte sent me an email update showing I'd somehow got £20 worth of reward credit with them. As a result a box of 12 Orange & Cacao oat snack bars are heading in my direction for £3 postage.
Also as Superstar Components have 20% off, a couple of pairs of brake disc pads for the Spa Elan have been ordered.

Seevio

Guru
I've just bought tyreglider and after trying it out, I can safely say you should buy one too.

I also bought some better valve stems and an electric mini pump, both of which have impressed me.

Nibor

Bewildered
I've just bought tyreglider and after trying it out, I can safely say you should buy one too.

I also bought some better valve stems and an electric mini pump, both of which have impressed me.

I have broken 2 of these I find the tyre monkey superior strength wise

Some more of the cheap park tyre leavers as I was so impressed with the last ones I bought.
Some spare 35-622 presta tubes for the Broam, just in case the p*nct*re feary visits me on a ride.
A Robert Axle Project thru-axle with the adaptations for towing the Carry Freedom Y-Frame trailer, again for the Broam.

I find having a prop stand on a bike really useful, when using the CF trailer as it being a bit wide, makes leaning it up against stuff a be precarious. So I've ordered a Topeak "FLASHSTAND" to try. The only other option, with the adapted thru-axle was a chain stay mounted stand and the various warnings about them crushing chainstays make me a bit nervous. The other advantage, if it works, is that it save's carrying 500g of dead weight around when it's not needed.

Still on the list are probably a spare chain and maybe a decent wet lube. Still debating what the chain maintenance regime for this bike will be. ZFC reckon immersive wax is still better for bikes used predominantly for wet rides - or at least, cheaper in the long run - but I'm still thinking wet lube is going to be more practical. I am impressed with how clean the CGR's drivetrain stays with waxing, but I'm also familiar with how grotty our roads get in the winter months.

Last edited:

roley poley

Veteran
Ordered a litelok X1, penny short of £ 150 :eek:

A genuine Garmin out front mount, spare chain and some lube.
That lot amounting to £75 even though two of the items were discounted, shows how eye gougingly expensive this hobby is.

Suppose I could have bought a knock-off mount but some of the reviews I read dissuaded me. I could have bought a cheaper chain but finding one in-stock from a reliable source with the 126 links as oppose to just 112 links wasn't so trivial.

Bristolian

New 290mm long #15 (1.8mm diameter) black stainless steel spoke to replace the one that broke riding on the new cycle path on the A38 past what's left of Filton airfield - now called Brabazon housing estate - NE of Bristol. This purpose built path has a very dark black, matt surface that hides the many kerb-like obstacles littered along its length. Won't be using that again.

Top Bottom