What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow horse

Alien Romulus, probably about 6/10 at best.
I started this last night, currently on pause. As I usually watch while reading something off to the side* unless I'm pretty sure it's going to be really good, I may have missed it, but my first question is, how did those crazy kidz – who appear to be little better than slaves – get access to a spaceship to get up to the space station in the first place?

*and my wife says I can't multitask

I hadn't seen that cut until recently and was surprised by the comic bits, which I agree add nothing. They're not awful though, which can happen when directors insist that their "vision" was left on the cutting room floor...

Apocalypse Now: Redux takes the prize for the worst one I've ever seen. It's basically an extra 45 minutes of Brando mumbling incomprehensible pish in the jungle. Truly, truly awful.

The one film I'd love to see unedited is Event Horizon, which I love anyway, but the footage has been lost or destroyed which i think is a real shame.

The EH footage does exist, the producer has a VHS copy of an early rough cut but I presume its not useable. Apparently for the 'crew orgy' scene they hired actors with missing limbs, and some adult film actors also to make the scenes!

EH is one of my favourite films, I had a film buff friend at college who always seemed to know which films were hidden gems to seek out and this was one of them when it released.

AndyRM

XOXO
The EH footage does exist, the producer has a VHS copy of an early rough cut but I presume its not useable. Apparently for the 'crew orgy' scene they hired actors with missing limbs, and some adult film actors also to make the scenes!

EH is one of my favourite films, I had a film buff friend at college who always seemed to know which films were hidden gems to seek out and this was one of them when it released.

I'd read that about the crew/blood orgy. There's a couple of clips on YouTube which are definitely not usable.

South Pacific.
R.I.P Mitzi Gaynor Such a gorgeous lady in her prime. Stole many male hearts in 'South Pacific'.
View attachment 749750

Allthough I know some of the songs, I've never seen the movie. Saw Mitzi's obit and thought She looks nice! From google:
After a search that included Doris Day (deemed not spontaneous enough) and Elizabeth Taylor (deemed incapable of singing), Gaynor was chosen. She was the only one of the four leads who did her own singing. In 2024, Gaynor called the movie “the be-all and end-all in my career.”
Imagine beating Liz Taylor to a role!!!

Love this pic from the Obits:
2452.jpg

I've never heard of this!!!!! :O
Event Horizon is also one of MY favourite "hidden gems"! Saw it on big screen at first release. Due to tip-off from a colleague who has no taste at all in films, books, music ... etc. 🤷‍♂️ I think I was single and needed an excuse to get out of the house!

Adam4868

Guru
Woman of the Hour
A serial killer in 70s California who appeared on a dating show.Based on a true story it's Anna Kendrick’s directorial debut,with her taking a leading role also.
Thought it was good...well worth a watch.

Psamathe

"Lee". well made, good acting covering some interesting and important topics through part of life of Lee Miller. But for some reason it didn't hold my attention. So I don't know if I recommend it or not; I didn't enjoy it but it might click with others.

Ian

stephec

Squire
Wicked Little Letters (2023)

Not normally my kind of film, but as it's got Olivia Colman in it, and I've always had a thing for her since she was the vicar's wife in Rev, I gave it a go.

Apparently based on the true story of a seaside town in the 1920s where abusive letters start being sent, causing a national outrage, and the perp isn't the obvious one in the end.

In the end it wasn't my kind of film, but worth it just to hear Olivia swearing like a trooper then giggling afterwards.

Top Bottom