What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Quadrophenia - 7/10

I'd never seen this before, despite really liking films from this era and a lot of the cast, but I'd always been put off by The Who association.

Daft really, because it's a really great film featuring a stellar performance by Phil Daniels as a young man slowly unravelling amidst the mod/rocker culture of the times. Loved the way it was shot, especially the party/crowd scenes which was most of it.

The last ten minutes or so kind of killed it for me when it was basically just The Who singing along with what was happening on screen.

Definite bonus points for not allowing Sting to say a word!

Not the edited one, the original had iirc Phil Daniels & Lesley Ash “at it” in a back alley

stephec

Squire
Bloodsport (1988)

One of Van Damme's better martial arts films which is based on the 'alleged' true story of Frank Dux and his entry into the Kumite, a secret tournament in Hong Kong.

He made some outlandish claims about his fighting achievements which don't seem to be very believable, but it's still an entertaining film.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Alien Romulus, probably about 6/10 at best. Started off ok and the space CGI scenes are top notch, then it just seemed to lose it. The rest though is just borrowing off previous better films (Alien, Aliens). Guess you have to with something like this, the android that you can trust/can't trust, the airlock scene, bringing back the android from Alien for a cameo (haven't a clue what they were thinking about).

It's ok, but just not enough of the Aliens in it for an action film (like Aliens) or the gung ho humour, certainly nothing like Alien at all, suspense and that. Better than expected, but still a bit meh, like most sequels these days.

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
South Pacific.
R.I.P Mitzi Gaynor Such a gorgeous lady in her prime. Stole many male hearts in 'South Pacific'.
IMG_2632.jpeg

stephec

Squire
Rise of the Footsoldier.

Very disappointed to discover it wasn't about the infantry. -345/10.

Proper comedies aren't they, Terry's wig's hilarious. 😂

They must have milked it for everything they can get now, Craig Fairbrass has been Pat Tate for longer than Pat Tate was actually Pat Tate.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Warriors

This was the Directors Cut as well which has the comic panel inserts used as a framing device for the story, I've read some criticism of them but this is what the director wanted so its fine by me.

It's one of my favourite films, I've probably watched it 50 times but I always enjoy it. I love New York as a film setting, especially 1970s New York. The violence isn't overly graphic, but enough to get you into it.

And of course, that soundtrack ❤️
In this case... i think the director should have left it well alone. The added comic bits just get in the way of an otherwise perfect film.

AndyRM

XOXO
In this case... i think the director should have left it well alone. The added comic bits just get in the way of an otherwise perfect film.

I hadn't seen that cut until recently and was surprised by the comic bits, which I agree add nothing. They're not awful though, which can happen when directors insist that their "vision" was left on the cutting room floor...

Apocalypse Now: Redux takes the prize for the worst one I've ever seen. It's basically an extra 45 minutes of Brando mumbling incomprehensible pish in the jungle. Truly, truly awful.

The one film I'd love to see unedited is Event Horizon, which I love anyway, but the footage has been lost or destroyed which i think is a real shame.

Psamathe

Rebel Ridge - 8/10

Nothing new story wise as a corrupt small town police force wrongs a minority fella, seriously underestimating his motives and desire for revenge, but the believable performances take it up a notch.

Added bonus is that our hero rides a bicycle.
I watched it the other day and good film. Bit like the (recent) Reacher TV Series which I also enjoyed.

I'd also be 8/10

Ian

Top Bottom