What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The Running Man was one of my favourites as a kid but I watched it again a couple of years ago and it didn't quite entertain me as much as I thought it would. Commando was better IMHO. Predator was a masterpiece, I don't think it's dated much since its release.

I thought Raw Deal was mediocre at best

AndyRM

XOXO
Found - 6/10

Starts off as a tribute to old school horror then kind of tried to become it's own thing without really being original enough. For a low budget effort it's really good, but it never quite broke free of the films the makers clearly love so much.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Running Man was one of my favourites as a kid but I watched it again a couple of years ago and it didn't quite entertain me as much as I thought it would. Commando was better IMHO. Predator was a masterpiece, I don't think it's dated much since its release.

I thought Raw Deal was mediocre at best

Then there's the exaggerated soundfx of Red Heat 😂

AndyRM

XOXO
Fittingly, this just came up on my Facebook.

FB_IMG_1728048628800.jpg

stephec

Squire
Raw Deal is Cobra but even sillier.

That's either a bad or a good thing depending on how you look at it.
Definitely good. 😅
I'm never really sure, other than the obvious ones (and even then it can be debatable) how seriously to take Arnie films.
There's a difference between Arnie and Sly films in that Arnie doesn't take himself too serious, whereas Sly plays it far more straight.

It's similar to Jason Statham now, you can almost see him laughing as he goes through his way over choreographed fight scenes.

stephec

Squire
Operation Mincemeat (2022)

I read a book about this a few years ago so when I saw this on Prime last night I thought I'd give it a go, quite a entertaining film.

And although I've never really been a big fan of Colin Firth I've warmed to him lately, and he does play the posh bloke very well.

7/10.

Deadpool and Wolverine

Best superhero film I've seen in ages, doesn't do anything to undo the greatness of Logan and Deadpool goes out on a high. Excellent.

Wolfs

Not sure why it's called Wolfs and not Wolves but there you go. Imagine 2 of Harvey Keitels 'Wolf' character from Pulp Fiction get called to the same job. Pretty good

AndyRM

XOXO
Deadpool and Wolverine

Best superhero film I've seen in ages, doesn't do anything to undo the greatness of Logan and Deadpool goes out on a high. Excellent.

Wolfs

Not sure why it's called Wolfs and not Wolves but there you go. Imagine 2 of Harvey Keitels 'Wolf' character from Pulp Fiction get called to the same job. Pretty good

I think the "Wolfs" thing is to indicate that even though they're together they're still operating as individuals rather than a pack/pair.

AndyRM

XOXO
Speak no Evil - 6/10

It's good, but it's not great and has been done before, literally in this case as it's a remake of a Danish film which I hadn't realised until I'd finished the American version. Having seen enough Danish cinema over the years I'm guessing they've will have redone the ending, but that's by the by.

There's nothing wrong with the film, and McAvoy is as brilliant as you'd expect, but it just sort of trundles along hinting at horrible physical and psychological trauma without getting deep enough to make the viewer care about it.

Blumhouse Productions have been responsible for some really great stuff over their 25 year existence (and some total garbage). It's not great if they're already going down the remake route, especially considering where they started as a company.

Top Bottom