What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Race for Glory: Audia vs Lancia - 4/10

They've played seriously fast and loose with what happened here, and I'm only a casual rally fan. If I was really, really into it I doubt I'd have given it more than a single point, but there's enough there to make it a casually enjoyable sports film which never really punches the way that rally should.

For a much better take on one of the greatest rivalries ever, watch Clarkson's piece about it:

View: https://youtu.be/ZZ9biQDVZSY?si=JVtbAge8tXJLQ0wa

AndyRM

XOXO
The Prestige - 8/10

I'd forgotten how much I liked this magic based tale of intrigue and tragedy. I also hadn't realised before that the screenplay was written by both the Nolan brothers, so the sense of duality and one-upmanship is even more at the fore.

A great piece of film making, and one of his best I reckon, or at least under-appreciated. It'll never beat Following though.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Pulp Fiction, 30th anniversary at the cinema.

I saw it on DVD after it had first been shown in cinemas and loved it. I’d never seen it on the big screen so I was really looking forward to it and it didn’t disappoint (apart from Tarantino’s awful attempt at acting - I’d forgotten how bad he was).

Best actor in it is Uma Thurman, outstanding.

10/10

AndyRM

XOXO

I saw it on DVD after it had first been shown in cinemas and loved it. I’d never seen it on the big screen so I was really looking forward to it and it didn’t disappoint (apart from Tarantino’s awful attempt at acting - I’d forgotten how bad he was).

10/10

Going on Monday, like you I'd never seen it on the big screen. I'm really enjoying films having 20/25/30 year anniversary re-releases, although some of them make me feel very old.

glasgowcyclist

Going on Monday, like you I'd never seen it on the big screen. I'm really enjoying films having 20/25/30 year anniversary re-releases, although some of them make me feel very old.

You’ll love it, I’m sure. There were bits I’d slightly mis-remembered and others I’d forgotten . I still remembered all my favourite quotes though.

I’ve told my daughter it’s on so she can get the cinema experience too. She first watched it with me on DVD when she was 12. 🙈
(Well, it was a Friday night, her mum was out and we got chicken burgers and chips from the local 3-in-1.)

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Kneecap - 8/10

Somewhat fictionalised biopic of the Irish hip hop group. A skilful blend of politics, family tensions, disaffected youth and underground hip hop blended into a riot of a film about the importance of indigenous language. To be honest if you've not got an interest in the historical importance of the recognition of Irish as an official language in Northern Ireland it might not do much for you, but still worth giving it a go.

It was a bit odd seeing Michael Fassbender as a father figure in the mould of Bobby Sands after playing him in the excellent Hunger from a few years ago.

AndyRM

XOXO
You’ll love it, I’m sure. There were bits I’d slightly mis-remembered and others I’d forgotten . I still remembered all my favourite quotes though.

I’ve told my daughter it’s on so she can get the cinema experience too. She first watched it with me when she was 12. 🙈
(Well, it was a Friday night, her mum was out and we got chicken burgers and chips from the local 3-in-1.)

I was doing research for a bit of work last month which involved the iconic burger scene and wanted to get the quotes bang on so watched that section a couple of times. I'm glad I resisted the temptation to watch the whole thing as like you there are bits I think I know but probably have my own version in my head so it'll be nice to have them refreshed properly.

One of the others I've seen is Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and they ran trailers from the time, which made it even more fun. The others haven't done that which I think is a missed opportunity, but it might be a licensing/availability issue.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Watched both of the John Carpenter's 80's films that I remember as a kid.

The Thing - Thought it was a great film, great suspense and effects, 8/10

Escape From New York - Just not as good as I remembered it. Has it's moments, probably a generous 6/10

10/10

Uma IS great ... but for me Travolta is the star. Possibly because I expected so little of him!
But there is soo much to love in that film. Here's to 30 more years of enjoyment 👍:cheers:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Casablanca. Just, perfect.

Renault: What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Renault: The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

The singing of the Marseillaise never fails to bring a lump to the throat. The more so when you remember it was made in 1942.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Casablanca. Just, perfect.

Renault: What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Renault: The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

The singing of the Marseillaise never fails to bring a lump to the throat. The more so when you remember it was made in 1942.

Agreed, Casablanca is my favourite film. The young girl singing La Marseillaise only died in the last couple of years, Madeleine LeBeau, I think her name was. When you hear her back story, a refugee herself, you realise she wasn't acting at that point.

glasgowcyclist

A film I’ve seen loads of times on the telly but never at the cinema, until yesterday:
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I loved it.

Wallach steals the show with his portrayal of Tuco, and he has all the best and funniest lines.

The intense stand-off at the cemetery was all the more impressive on the big screen with that fabulous music building and building.

Each shot getting tighter on their faces as they wait to see who’ll draw first until it’s just their eyes visible, Angel Eyes’ and Blondie’s becoming increasingly narrow and determined, while Wallach’s got wider and more panicked.

In my view, the best four and a half minutes of anticipation there’s ever been in a movie.

Watch it and tell me I’m wrong…

View: https://youtu.be/4LcVQJ4IBtM?si=teWEA0TPe8sFzNKg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
A film I’ve seen loads of times on the telly but never at the cinema, until yesterday:

I loved it.

Wallach steals the show with his portrayal of Tuco, and he has all the best and funniest lines.

The intense stand-off at the cemetery was all the more impressive on the big screen with that fabulous music building and building.

Each shot getting tighter on their faces as they wait to see who’ll draw first until it’s just their eyes visible, Angel Eyes’ and Blondie’s becoming increasingly narrow and determined, while Wallach’s got wider and more panicked.

In my view, the best four and a half minutes of anticipation there’s ever been in a movie.

Agree. One of my favorite movies. I've seen it about 8 times but never in the cinema

AndyRM

XOXO

I loved it.

Because of The Algorithm I got a link suggesting I watch this (shortly after I'd seen Pulp Fiction) as "Dollars" is Tarantino's favourite trilogy.

Top Bottom