What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Alien: Romulus - 7.5/10

A fine addition to the franchise after the relative disappointments of Covenant and Prometheus.

Highlights for me were Andy, the practical effects and a new beastie to enjoy. The possibility of it going off into a new environment is pretty neat too.

I don't quite know what they were thinking bringing Ian Holm back into the picture, because that didn't really make any sense.

Overall though, very enjoyable with an excellent score.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Can anyone id a film from the following few details I saw in a trailer the other day? Not sure if it's for a forthcoming film, or one that's been released in recent years. It might just be a short, or a TV series.

Details:
IT's form the "found footage" genre, with the footage showing how a person went missing after going through a door - it looks like a standard door and doorframe, but it's a portal to some kind of alternate reality/realities.
The protagonist of the film has obtained the door, and I think has brought it back to his house/apartment.
The rest of the film is presumably exploring through the portal and finding out what happened to the missing person.
Likely sci-fiction/horror elements.

Alas, didn't catch the name of the film. Couldn't tell you any of the actors, or their nationality.

Went through my Google account history and found it!
The film is "Hostile Dimensions". Seems to have been made last year with very little budget but had a limited theatrical release and is now avaialble on VoD services (Google, Apple and Youtube).

Most reviews recognise a strong concept, but some say the overall result is let down by poor plot development and low budget.
Hmm, I'll probably still try it.

Trailers:

AndyRM

XOXO
Went through my Google account history and found it!
The film is "Hostile Dimensions". Seems to have been made last year with very little budget but had a limited theatrical release and is now avaialble on VoD services (Google, Apple and Youtube).

Most reviews recognise a strong concept, but some say the overall result is let down by poor plot development and low budget.
Hmm, I'll probably still try it.

Trailers:

Looks good, I'll give it a go too. Another super low budget Scottish effort I have on my list is The Bench, which I believe is on Prime.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Looks good, I'll give it a go too. Another super low budget Scottish effort I have on my list is The Bench, which I believe is on Prime.

Well i watched Hostile Dimensions.
I was hooked for the first hour; the concept was right up my street and the developing creepy atmosphere was well-crafted.
It reminded me of watching the 90s's series "The Outer Limits" or earlier "Twilight Zone" episodes
But the last 10 minutes felt a bit chaotic and left me unsatisfied or wanting more.
The ending didn't make me think a sequel will ever happen... Probably I'd like to see the idea developed further and filmed again. I guess that's unlikely to happen.
Enjoyable but flawed; I give it 2/5.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Just as funny as the original, with the usual Tim Burton oddball, over the top madness and weirdness making it a highly enjoyable watch. It builds up very nicely to the hugely entertaining last 20 minute finale. Micheal Keaton is utterly fab once again and Willem Defoe does a brilliant turn.
My lad didn't know what to expect not seeing the original and I think that made it more enjoyable for him. It had us both laughing out loud at times. Great fun.

AndyRM

XOXO

Just as funny as the original, with the usual Tim Burton oddball, over the top madness and weirdness making it a highly enjoyable watch. It builds up very nicely to the hugely entertaining last 20 minute finale. Micheal Keaton is utterly fab once again and Willem Defoe does a brilliant turn.
My lad didn't know what to expect not seeing the original and I think that made it more enjoyable for him. It had us both laughing out loud at times. Great fun.

Good to know, it's one of those I've been a bit unsure about, especially as when Burton gets it wrong it's a disaster.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

just seen the end of the 1st one on tv, great although the special effects certainly show their age.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Substance - 9/10

A pretty brutal take down of all that is wrong with body shaming, vanity, expectation, self worth and ageing via the lens of Hollywood, from a very French perspective. It's essentially a modern retelling of Dorian Grey but goes way beyond any take I've seen of that visually.

Superb performances from Demi Moore, Margaret Qualley and Dennis Quaid hold everything together brilliantly, if any of their performances weren't fully committed it'd totally fall flat or spiral out of control.

Class score from Raffertie as well, and another triumph for practical effects. You can almost feel how grim the prosthetics are when they make an appearance, which is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom