What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Klute... it popped up as Donald Sutherland tribute.

This moody, suspenseful thriller will have you on the edge of your seat from the outset... or, the unengaging snail-paced plot will have you nodding off from the outset. I persevered as best i could but was so disinterested i gave up ten minutes before the end.

Klute... it popped up as Donald Sutherland tribute.

This moody, suspenseful thriller will have you on the edge of your seat from the outset... or, the unengaging snail-paced plot will have you nodding off from the outset. I persevered as best i could but was so disinterested i gave up ten minutes before the end.

Klute is a movie with lots of acting in it, and the acting is by some of the best actors in the acting profession. The New Hollywood movies of 1970s were especially good at showing lots of acting.

AndyRM

XOXO
A Quiet Place: Day One - 9/10

I wasn't really sure how this would translate to a big city setting, but they've absolutely nailed it. Just as tense, taught and touching as confusion and total madness rains down (pretty much literally) on New York.

Obviously the sound work is absolutely spot on but even with that you need a strong cast to pull off their roles because it's so tightly focussed on the two leads.

From what I understand there's going to be a third and final instalment next year. If it's as brilliant as the others it'll be one of the finest film series I can think of.

A Quiet Place: Day One - 9/10

I wasn't really sure how this would translate to a big city setting, but they've absolutely nailed it. Just as tense, taught and touching as confusion and total madness rains down (pretty much literally) on New York.

Obviously the sound work is absolutely spot on but even with that you need a strong cast to pull off their roles because it's so tightly focussed on the two leads.

From what I understand there's going to be a third and final instalment next year. If it's as brilliant as the others it'll be one of the finest film series I can think of.

"3rd" ?!? <googles ... >

. A Quiet Place (2018) is the first film in the series, which was followed by the sequel A Quiet Place Part II (2020), both directed by John Krasinski. The spin-off prequel, A Quiet Place: Day One, is directed by Michael Sarnoski and was released on June 28, 2024.

A third and final sequel, A Quiet Place Part III, directed by Krasinski, is in development and scheduled to be released in 2025. The franchise also includes A Quiet Place: The Road Ahead, a video game set within the same fictional universe screw that nonsense ...

p.s. I've only see the first film so far. A real masterpiece, worth it just for the opening shot in the convenience store :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

AndyRM

XOXO
"3rd" ?!? <googles ... >

p.s. I've only see the first film so far. A real masterpiece, worth it just for the opening shot in the convenience store :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well, yeah, that's how I see it: Quiet Place 3 will be the third in the trilogy. Day One is part of it, but could just as easily be a stand alone film.

Pendant.

AndyRM

XOXO
Kinds of Kindness - 8/10

A triptych of loosely tied together madness by the director who brought you Poor Things. Emma Stone is her usual brilliant self but Jesse Plemons stole the show for me, which is no mean feat when Willem Dafoe is in there too.

Hyper stylised to the point of breaking your mind at times, but well worth the wild ride of challenging and uncomfortable topics.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga 9/10.

Can see why it got such mixed reviews, and read about people walking out after half an hour etc. The first 45 minutes with Chris Hemsworth hamming it up as Dr.Dementus were really bad, was so going to switch it off. I know its Mad Max and it's supposed to be daft at times. But once Anya Taylor-Joy took over as the older Furiosa the film was fantastic, really liked her in the Queen's Gambit. She had playing the sultry bad-ass down to a T. Best film I've seen for ages, better than Dune 2, despite the crappy start to it. Much better than Fury Road which was really just a fantastic spectacle to watch with little plot. This had a story and plot, superb effects and crazy machinery. Sure many will disagree, as you either like it or don't..
I really enjoyed it, I was a little disappointed that there seemed to be a bigger use of CGI than Fury Road but they had a lot more time to prepare vehicles for that. It doesn't distract from the film really though.

Chris Hemsworth seemed to be having a ball on the role, and there are some characters from the Mad Max video game making an appearance too.

One thing I really liked was having the original war rig driver mentoring Furiosa and acting as a surrogate Max without it being too obvious.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mixed by Erry

An Italian film about Erry, a aspiring if shy DJ who has a ear for catchy music, and his two brothers who produce mix-tapes of pop music, initially as a side hustle for friends and neighbours, but eventually their mix tapes of pirated tracks become the best selling record label in Italy, and they were so successful they were in turn being pirated by others. Needless to say they have run ins with various gangsters and with the police.

Brilliantly put together film, great intro to the characters and mostly, show-not-tell, which is something I like in a film. A finely crafted, funny, and very entertaining film, perhaps a modern day Ealing Comedy and based on real events.

If you do watch, just make sure you sit through ALL the credits to the very end; I'll say no more

Got to give it 9/10

Some while back we watched the same director's earlier film "Rose Island", concerning a young engineer, a nutter basically, who decides to build an artificial island (a platform essentially) just outside Italian waters and declares it an independant state. Various Passport to Pimlico events ensue. A notch or two below "Mixed by Erry" but still an interesting film well worth seeing, again based on real events: maybe 7/10

Last edited:
Bitter Victory 1957 BW desert war movie staring Richard Burton. Truely amazing how many times Burton fought and lost against Rommel. In this one, Rommel is aided by cowardy-custard regular British officer who's wife, understandably, has the hots for Burton.
Taut action, drama, romance, oddball characters.

AndyRM

XOXO
Under Paris - 7/10

Jaws crossed with Deep Blue Sea in French, with an eco-warrior angle. Cool chompings and some excellent underwater cinematography take this above your standard B Movie creature feature.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is it? I thought it was a lot of fun and made with a lot of heart. Loads better than other films in the same genre.

Well i sat through the whole thing, so i'll agree its better than some films ; just not as many as is implied by a 7/10 rating. Depends on your criteria perhaps, but i can only guess what they are.

I can take a cheesy quality of production, but the last few minutes of film go from cheese to manure!

AndyRM

XOXO
Well i sat through the whole thing, so i'll agree its better than some films ; just not as many as is implied by a 7/10 rating. Depends on your criteria perhaps, but i can only guess what they are.

I can take a cheesy quality of production, but the last few minutes of film go from cheese to manure!

Yeah that's fair.

I'm judging it on my own scale of B Movies, where Evil Dead is a stone cold 10/10 and Sharknado scrapes a 2/10.

Top Bottom