What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Quick round up of recent movie goings:

The Menu - engaging black comedy. I liked it.

Matilda the Musical - fun family film, though I thought the songs were quite weak. No memorable tunes but keeps your interest.

Avatar 2 - well it's 3 hours and could have easily lost 30 minutes. Visually it's very impressive, especially the water scenes and water creatures. Story is quite simple and predictable and it does look like a video game at times, but quite a spectacle on the big screen.

I think I'm a bit jaded with regards to blockbusters at the moment. I remember coming out of films like Terminator 2 and Robocop and being blown away by them. There's so much cgi now though that even the most impressive of cgi set pieces feels a bit 'Meh'.

The film I have enjoyed most of late was Hobson's Choice, on Film 4 I think. Really good print of the film and looked great in HD. Perfect script, wonderful acting from all the cast, especially Brenda de Banzie and Charles Laughton. And Prunella Scales looking about 17. Ideal viewing for a wet December afternoon.

MV5BOTY0MDE4OGMtZTUxOS00YzdhLWEwMWQtNGYwYmE4OTg4ZTdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ1NDUyNzI@._V1_.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy....for the 3/4 time.Great film and cast and doesn't disappoint.

I take it you've also seen the Alec Guiness Tv series, and sequel too? Perhaps the greatest ever TV series, and Guiness' best ever performance (which is saying something to say the least)

I was perhaps resigned to being disappointed with the recent Oldman movie, which I thought a little brave to attempt, but instead, I was enthralled. Oldman is the Alec Guiness of our time I feel, in terms of range, sheer ability and class.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Decent enough film and enjoyed it.

CGI was incredible.

Messy and slightly confusing start although all was explained in first 15 minutes or so.

Very laboured storyline in the middle of the film - would have been a better film if edited to around a couple of hours.

Underwater action was v.clever but the forest action in the original film was more engaging.

7/10

It would be good if cinemas reprised intermissions - 3hrs 12mins is a long, long watch without a break.

Just watched it with my kids.
I agree with everything you said. Visually spectacular, story line very predictable. Indigenous population verse Colonial bad guys with additional “whale hunting” thrown in to make them even more dislikable.
Could easily lose an hour without any meaningful impact on the film.

Adam4868

Guru
I take it you've also seen the Alec Guiness Tv series, and sequel too? Perhaps the greatest ever TV series, and Guiness' best ever performance (which is saying something to say the least)

I was perhaps resigned to being disappointed with the recent Oldman movie, which I thought a little brave to attempt, but instead, I was enthralled. Oldman is the Alec Guiness of our time I feel, in terms of range, sheer ability and class.
Yes have the original series on a box set,remember watching it as a kid with my mum !
But the film i think is one of those rare ones to do it justice.Makes me sad even when I know what's coming lol.

Big Fish.
A Tim Burton film featuring Helena Bonham-Carter and other A listers.
Looks intriguing. Local TV had a dubbed version so I remain clueless.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Big Fish.
A Tim Burton film featuring Helena Bonham-Carter and other A listers.
Looks intriguing. Local TV had a dubbed version so I remain clueless.

We saw that a little while ago. Maybe a bit sentimental but still close to minor masterpiece status I think

Last edited:

stephec

Squire
Redemption of a Rogue

A very dark Irish comedy about a prodigal son who returns home to see his dying dad, starts off really well, slightly surreal in parts, but then loses it's way in the last half hour.
5/10.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Last night, Game Night. A surprisingly splendid comedy thriller with multiple (and not predictable) twists. Still on iPlayer for three weeks or so, recommended.

Top Bottom