What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Cow.

Anybody watched this? You most definitely should. It was on BBC1 late last Sunday night and I intended watching it for about ten minutes but found it so fascinating and well filmed, I watched the whole lot unable to tear myself away. Unless you've worked or been on a dairy farm - and this one was very well run and faultless as far as standards are concerned - you're probably as unaware as I was about the reasons milk is in such an abundant supply. Let's just say it strengthened my commitment to being vegan.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"All quite on the Western Front" - an outstanding film on the horrors and futility of war

PaulB

Legendary Member
David Byrne's American Utopia. What a joy this was! Directed by Spike Lee, it has Jonathan Demme's name in the credits so I reckon Lee must have consulted Demme to ask how he made such a good job of his work, 'Stop Making Sense' and used some of that advice to film this total mesmeric delight of a of a film. I can't give this film enough credit so give it the best 6/10 you've ever seen me give any film! Just watch it, it's great.

Tusk by Kevin Smith and This is England by Shane Meadows.

Tusk is an odd body horror film, and despite me being a fan of such things it just didn't engage me. Its a shame as I wanted to like it but just didn't.

This Is England on the other is a masterpiece, I've watched it several times over and it gets better every time. A real picture of late 70s early 80s Britain.

i robot
having watched it i searched to see if it was anything like the book which i havent read and surprise surprise it bears little if any resemblance

It's a good film still though, it suffers from over bearing product placement but it just about rises above.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i robot
having watched it i searched to see if it was anything like the book which i havent read and surprise surprise it bears little if any resemblance

The book, and sequel are a loosely connected set of short stories, fairly lightweight by and large though with the common thread of Asimov's "three laws of robotics", including one if I remember rightly, where the robot has a weakened version of one of the laws. The film's plot is very much around the nature and consequences of the "laws" so I think it's in the spirit of the stories. The individual stories are very dated and not really film material, and I doubt they are even readable today by an adult.

Top Bottom