What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just finished watching Suspriria - beautifully stylised, but lacked much substance tbh.. let's go with 6/10.

Looks like Possum is going on the list!

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I really like both the Equaliser films. If you like Taken you'd probably like them. Denzil Washington brings a bit of gravitas to it. They are both on ITV 3 a lot at the moment.

Saw Confess Fletch this week at the cinema. It's the same character as in the old Fletch films with Chevy Chase. This time he's played by Jon Hamm. It was quite good fun - old fashioned comedy crime caper, no cgi, car chases, or big violent ending. The kind of film they don't make much these days but was a nice change from the darker stuff we usually watch.

Black Panther 2 is quite good. Usual cgi fest and a bit long, but quite deep for a Marvel film. It's all about loss and belonging really.

Might see The Menu next but mostly looking forward to Violent Night, in which Santa kicks ass.

Adam4868

Guru
The Conversation....it was on TV late last night and would of been wrong to go to bed.It's a masterpiece....for the film score alone !
Was reading about it later and loved this take about Harrison Ford's role.
"Feeling that the character was one-dimensional, Harrison Ford decided to play him as gay, a risky choice in 1974, and personally purchased the loud green silk suit for 900 dollars (4,285 in 2015 dollars). Francis Ford Coppola was at first shocked by the outfit at rehearsals, but after discussing it with Ford, was so impressed with this interpretation, that he expanded the role into a supporting character, gave the character a name (Martin Stett) and had Production Designer Dean Tavoularis create an office that reflected the character's orientation.”

Cabin in the woods

It's not as clever as it thinks it is but it is a good twist on the usual 'teens stay in a spooky cabin and get murdered' trope. Also stars a pre avengers Chris Hemsworth.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cabin in the woods

It's not as clever as it thinks it is but it is a good twist on the usual 'teens stay in a spooky cabin and get murdered' trope. Also stars a pre avengers Chris Hemsworth.

Many of my friends used to cast scorn on me for enjoying Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They also enjoyed Cabin in the Woods immensely, which essentially turns into an episode of Buffy. I wasn't aware of the links between the two when i first watched Cabin but could see the parallels.

AndyRM

XOXO
I love Cabin in the Woods, and I think it's really clever personally. For me it's a gateway into all that is ridiculous and wonderful about the horror genre. A bit like Scream in that respect, properly sends itself up.

stephec

Squire
The School of the Damned.

A modern British horror on Netflix about a teacher who takes a new job at a school where things turn out to be quite strange.

I can't even begin to explain it as there wasn't really a coherent plot, just a jumble of scenes, not one that I'll be watching again.

3/10.

wafter

Cabin in the woods

I thought this was bloody awful when I saw it; maybe I didn't go in with the right attitude but I also thought the same about being not as clever as it thought it was.. in fact I remember it as being somewhat basal and moronic tbh.

Last night I watched Smile.. generally don't do horrors as I'm a delicate little flower, but have found myself more drawn to them recently. Found it properly affecting, pretty uncomfortable and disturbing throughout with plenty of effective jump-scares. Acting was good, as was the cinematography - particularly liked the Shining-esq birds-eye shots and other abstract camera angles. Soundtrack was pretty decent too.

Story was good with a few twists and a lot of uncertainty, can't decide whether the end was disappointing or not, or whether it was perhaps a bit underwhelming as I missed something. I'd say 7/10 - worth a watch if you're into this genre.

AndyRM

XOXO
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 6/10

A partner is really into Harry Potter, I was a couple of years too old to properly get into it at the time. They're fun, and the cast of the films is incredible, but still a bit "kiddy" for me. I know they get darker so I think I'll enjoy them more when that starts to happen.

I thought this was bloody awful when I saw it; maybe I didn't go in with the right attitude but I also thought the same about being not as clever as it thought it was.. in fact I remember it as being somewhat basal and moronic tbh.

Last night I watched Smile.. generally don't do horrors as I'm a delicate little flower, but have found myself more drawn to them recently. Found it properly affecting, pretty uncomfortable and disturbing throughout with plenty of effective jump-scares. Acting was good, as was the cinematography - particularly liked the Shining-esq birds-eye shots and other abstract camera angles. Soundtrack was pretty decent too.

Story was good with a few twists and a lot of uncertainty, can't decide whether the end was disappointing or not, or whether it was perhaps a bit underwhelming as I missed something. I'd say 7/10 - worth a watch if you're into this genre.

Smile was on a list of films I read about recently and is one I want to get to, it sounded pretty grim.

wafter

Smile was on a list of films I read about recently and is one I want to get to, it sounded pretty grim.

Indeed! Thinking about it, its subject matter does a good job of treading a fine, uncomfortable line in involving both obvious fantasy and legitimate mental illness.. I suppose the whole thing can be thought of as a comment on the effects of trauma, taken in a more literal sense.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sounds like Smile is worth checking out. I have my doubts about it to be honest, but then I do about most horror films these days as they rarely seem to tread new ground.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched 'The Stranger' on Netflix, a film about Australian cops trying to find the person responsible for the disappearance of a boy 8 years earlier.

The credits at the start said that it was based on real events. I searched for information afterwards and found that it was a thinly-disguised true story and the parents of the boy were extremely upset by it ever being made.

Top Bottom