What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I have subtitles on for almost all films and a lot of TV series anyway.Find I miss things without and I hardly notice now.

gbb

Squire
It was on Netflix, there were various options of dubbed in to English, English with subtitles and German, or German with subtitles that you could select prior to watching it

Thats right. We stuck with the English language version. I didn't mind it at all, noticed the accents but it didn't it detract from it at all for me personally.

Grave of the Fireflies

This is not a happy film, but it is a good one. This was the the 3rd time I'd started watching it but the 1st time I finished it. It's set in Japan in the last days of WW2 and follows a brother and his sister as they try to survive those last days. I often watch films several times but I think this is one I'll just remember as it is.

You're right about the English accents, it's quite obvious and slightly odd.
BUT, did the film makers do this deliberately ? Rather than giving you the voice of the 'enemy', they gave you a voice you relate to in everyday life, makes it closer to home, something you can relate to and therefore empathise more with, rather than...ah, those damn Germans. Emphasising they were people just like you and me ?

Back in the day, Eurotrash used to dub regional German accents with regional British accents, emphasising how regional they were.

gbb

Squire
The Stranger on Netflix.
I suspect had my wife not fallen asleep, she might have watching it..but, its not her kind of film.

A man escaping his past, suspected in the disappearance and murder of a young boy some years before, is taken in by a criminal gang. He's odd, the gang member he is attached to has his own demons, but none of it is what it seems.

I enjoyed it, no big drama filled scenes, no chases or shootouts, just a calculated tracking down by unorthodox methods and exposure of the man for what he did.

Definitely a slow burner but a good watch.

gbb

Squire
I see The Pledge is back on Netflix
Jack Nicholson, watched it maybe 2 or 3 years ago, really really good film with a heck of a twist in the dying moments...I shall be watching it again soon.

Top Bottom