What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Drag Me to Hell - 6.5/10

If you like Sam Raimi, you'll like this. It's not his best, and it's kind of like Evil Dead in a modern city setting, but it's an alright way to spend 90 minutes.

Plus every time I see The Classic I'm happy.

stephec

Squire
All Quiet on the Western Front

Excellent film, but I'm not a fan of the dramatic dur dur DUR!!! every five minutes or so.

When the timeline jumped to 07/11/18 with over an hour of the film still to go I wondered how it was going to fill the time, but it all worked out nicely.

9/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
His House - 9/10

Very effective story of refugees* haunted by their past, trying to escape it and assimilate. It's very clever, genuinely scary and also incredibly sad on many levels, even if I did find some of it a bit obvious.

*gammons, beware!

DRM

Guru
All Quiet on the Western Front

Excellent film, but I'm not a fan of the dramatic dur dur DUR!!! every five minutes or so.

When the timeline jumped to 07/11/18 with over an hour of the film still to go I wondered how it was going to fill the time, but it all worked out nicely.

9/10.

Agree the “music” for want of a better word was quite bizarre, meanwhile I was quite hoping that one of the chosen men stood in the courtyard at 10:45 would just stick a round straight through the German equivalent of General Melchett of Black Adder goes forth fame, but it was very good and brought home the whole pointless waste of millions of lives over 4 years for absolutely no gain give or take a few meters 9/10 from me too

stephec

Squire
The other thing I found a bit strange about it was that because it was dubbed the Germans speak with Southern English accents, I'm too used to films like Von Ryan's Express where all the baddies speak English with a German accent. 😂

AndyRM

XOXO
The other thing I found a bit strange about it was that because it was dubbed the Germans speak with Southern English accents, I'm too used to films like Von Ryan's Express where all the baddies speak English with a German accent. 😂

Could you not have watched it in German with English subtitles? Generally I find that dubbed films are absolutely hopeless.

Adam4868

Guru
Santa Sangre....gave it a second viewing last night and still as nuts !
Best description....somewhere between genius and madness 😁
@AndyRM sure you've seen it...if not I know you'd like it.

gbb

Squire

Could you not have watched it in German with English subtitles? Generally I find that dubbed films are absolutely hopeless.
You're right about the English accents, it's quite obvious and slightly odd.
BUT, did the film makers do this deliberately ? Rather than giving you the voice of the 'enemy', they gave you a voice you relate to in everyday life, makes it closer to home, something you can relate to and therefore empathise more with, rather than...ah, those damn Germans. Emphasising they were people just like you and me ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Could you not have watched it in German with English subtitles
This is what I do for what ever foreign film or tv programme I am watching. I just can't get on with dubbed. And with something like All Quiet On The Wester Front, you lose a lot of the drama with dubbed, which is more often then not, very poor.

AndyRM

XOXO
This is what I do for what ever foreign film or tv programme I am watching. I just can't get on with dubbed. And with something like All Quiet On The Wester Front, you lose a lot of the drama with dubbed, which is more often then not, very poor.

The first time I read it when I was young it was one of those really old school translations where they'd made everything more English, sentence structure, names, the lot. I was about half way through before I realised it was from a German perspective...

DRM

Guru
You're right about the English accents, it's quite obvious and slightly odd.
BUT, did the film makers do this deliberately ? Rather than giving you the voice of the 'enemy', they gave you a voice you relate to in everyday life, makes it closer to home, something you can relate to and therefore empathise more with, rather than...ah, those damn Germans. Emphasising they were people just like you and me ?

It was on Netflix, there were various options of dubbed in to English, English with subtitles and German, or German with subtitles that you could select prior to watching it

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom