What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a couple of prostitutes being involved later in the film as well, just to cement his slimeiness.

Yes, that's the same film, though Gleeson's character is actually quite nice to the two tarts almost as if he was going on a proper date.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I liked the Guard and Gleeson as a actor,reminds me of In Bruges which also loved.In fact just looked and the directors are brothers.

Indeed, I think he's a great actor.

He plays King Duncan in the recent, (rather good) Denzel Washington & Frances McDormand Macbeth . Gleeson imbues the doomed king with real gravitas and presence which is good going as it's more or less a bit part and he's not on screen for long

AndyRM

XOXO
Hellraiser - 9/10

Despite getting progressively worse, I have remained loyal to the Hellraiser franchise, including the truly abysmal "revelations" which was bordering on criminal it was so bad. So I feel like I deserved a decent update to the series, and this doesn't disappoint. Sort of a remake, sort of a reboot, sort of its own thing, in true Cenobite fashion it's pleasingly ambiguous. They've stuck with practical effects, only enhancing bits and pieces in post production which I'm always on board with. They've also given the Cenobites a make-over, and they are sexier than ever before!

AndyRM

XOXO
The Munsters (1st 15 minutes) - 2/10

I love Rob Zombie, from his style, to his music and films. Now I appreciate I'm not the target market for this necessarily, I suppose if you're on a nostalgia trip or 10 years old you might like it, but I just didn't get it at all. The sets look like something Tim Burton thought better of and threw away, the lighting is bizarre and nothing hangs together at all.

Maybe I should have given it more time, and I might try to in the future, but I could tell I was just going to be disappointed so I bravely walked away...

AndyRM

XOXO
Grimcutty - 6.5/10

Silly name, not even remotely scary and definitely not a 'modern creature feature' as I've seen it described in some reviews. An internet meme becomes a reality fuelled by parental anxiety, paranoia, hysteria and delusion. It's more thought provoking than anything, and some of it falls flat, the ASMR thing seems like an after-thought and doesn't really make sense and you see Grimcutty waaaayy too early on.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I've recently seen Mrs Harris Goes to Paris. It's a heartwarming piece of nostalgic escapism in which the plucky British working class triumph over the snooty French and exploitive English posh folk. Actually, it's very entertaining if you can forget the stereotyping and the acting's very good.

The costumes are great, especially the Dior outfits which look beautiful. 1950's London and Paris look lovely too. Nice scene with a Renault Caravelle was a bonus; always fun spotting classic cars. Recommended. New Halloween film will be next.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
If it's the film I am thinking of, I have only seen the trailer for The Guard. And that was by accident when it was shown to a cinema full of little kids and parents who were waiting to see a Studio Ghibli 'U' rated film. I think somebody got shot in the head at one point.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've recently seen Mrs Harris Goes to Paris. It's a heartwarming piece of nostalgic escapism in which the plucky British working class triumph over the snooty French and exploitive English posh folk. Actually, it's very entertaining if you can forget the stereotyping and the acting's very good.

The costumes are great, especially the Dior outfits which look beautiful. 1950's London and Paris look lovely too. Nice scene with a Renault Caravelle was a bonus; always fun spotting classic cars. Recommended. New Halloween film will be next.

I hope they mean it when they say 'Ends'. Apparently they do, and I've really enjoyed the rebooted series, but what are they up to now, 12? Let's have some new beasties please Hollywood!

AndyRM

XOXO
Deadstream - 8/10

I'm not normally a fan of the whole 'found footage' thing, in fact I never have been. Blair Witch was, frankly, rubbish, and nobody managed to elevate it beyond low budget rubbish. Which in a way is exactly what this is, but it's also schlocky B movie perfection, so I enjoyed it a lot. The beasties were ridiculous, the gore was ridiculous and it was just nonsense. Perhaps if more found footage stuff took itself less seriously I'd be more into the genre.

AndyRM

XOXO
Cube (Japanese remake) - 3/10

The original Cube was intelligent, taught and menacing, the sequels less so, because they tried to add in different elements beyond the already mind boggling concept of the film. And that's where the remake falls down. It sticks pretty much to remaking the original, until around half way through introducing sub plots and weirdness that add absolutely nothing to the film.

Maybe it's revenge for some of the truly awful hatchet jobs done on remaking Asian horror films from the early 00s? That would be deserved for Dark Water alone.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I hope they mean it when they say 'Ends'. Apparently they do, and I've really enjoyed the rebooted series, but what are they up to now, 12? Let's have some new beasties please Hollywood!

I have faithfully watched all the Halloweens, (bar one of the reboots I think), but God they have surely flogged a dead horse as much as is humanly possible now. I was going to see the new one - just out of that compulsion to complete the set - but I'm thinking I won't now. The last one was pretty poor. And they make out JL Curtis is the star when she spends the whole film in hospital and is barely in it.

If I keep paying to see crap films, they'll keep making them.

AndyRM

XOXO
I have faithfully watched all the Halloweens, (bar one of the reboots I think), but God they have surely flogged a dead horse as much as is humanly possible now. I was going to see the new one - just out of that compulsion to complete the set - but I'm thinking I won't now. The last one was pretty poor. And they make out JL Curtis is the star when she spends the whole film in hospital and is barely in it.

If I keep paying to see crap films, they'll keep making them.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. I did enjoy 'Kills' though I'm hoping Jamie will be all patched up and ready to belt him into the hereafter. It's gonna take something pretty spectacular.

Although after her little monologue about how he's fuelled by hate, part of me hopes they all sit down for a cup of tea and a biscuit and he just withers away because of how wholesome everything is.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon

Glad I have this on dvd, it is hard to find elsewhere. Great performance by Sean Penn, possibly his best? One of the unsung gems of the last 20 years imo.

Top Bottom