What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Squire
Neither the Sea nor the Sand (1972)

Described as a supernatural thriller and written by newsreader Gordon Honeycomb.

An unhappily married woman goes to Jersey where she falls for a local man, off they go to Scotland on holiday where he dies, except the next day he's alive again, or is he?

Now his body's dead but his soul lives on inside it, it wasn't that good to start with but goes downhill from here.

5/10, and two of those points are for the lovely Susan Hampshire.

AndyRM

XOXO
Naked - 9/10

My mate has been badgering me to watch this for months, but I've never got round to it. Misanthropic, sarcastic, misogynistic and generally vile. A brilliant study of the darker side of the human psyche. An incredible piece of film-making, though you'd not really expect anything less from Mike Leigh.

Not for the faint of heart, it gets under your skin and will stay there.

Adam4868

Guru
Naked - 9/10

My mate has been badgering me to watch this for months, but I've never got round to it. Misanthropic, sarcastic, misogynistic and generally vile. A brilliant study of the darker side of the human psyche. An incredible piece of film-making, though you'd not really expect anything less from Mike Leigh.

Not for the faint of heart, it gets under your skin and will stay there.
It's a masterpiece in a dark way.My favourite Leigh film.Love David Thewlis think he's a great actor and his portrayal of Johnny is still one of his best !
He's from Blackpool so I have a slightly biased view of him 😁

PaulB

Legendary Member
Went the pictures to see 'Moonage Daydream' - a hotchpotch of a documentary about David Bowie that gives what I imagine to be a 2 hour LSD trip! You never get one full song that you're itching for because all the biggies are there but you just don't.

It flits from one scene to another with the rapidity of a butterfly trying to cram in all it can before the imminent thunderstorm breaks. It also tries to cram in every one of his myriad ch ch ch changes (Tin Machine apart!) while it's got you sat there. Although some left before the finish it was so confusing.

Lots of him being interviewed - some with accompanying film others just his voice over another scene the director insists is necessary!

You have to be in the mood before you go in to see this AND a big fan of Bowie, otherwise it won't work. Or being stoned could possibly help. I had to sit down somewhere quiet and let my mind settle before I drove home.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Went the pictures to see 'Moonage Daydream' - a hotchpotch of a documentary about David Bowie that gives what I imagine to be a 2 hour LSD trip! You never get one full song that you're itching for because all the biggies are there but you just don't.

It flits from one scene to another with the rapidity of a butterfly trying to cram in all it can before the imminent thunderstorm breaks. It also tries to cram in every one of his myriad ch ch ch changes (Tin Machine apart!) while it's got you sat there. Although some left before the finish it was so confusing.

Lots of him being interviewed - some with accompanying film others just his voice over another scene the director insists is necessary!

You have to be in the mood before you go in to see this AND a big fan of Bowie, otherwise it won't work. Or being stoned could possibly help. I had to sit down somewhere quiet and let my mind settle before I drove home.

We so wanted to enjoy it and it did have merit but I'm afraid we baled out after half an hour. I started to find it irritating and got restless.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We so wanted to enjoy it and it did have merit but I'm afraid we baled out after half an hour. I started to find it irritating and got restless.

I know what you mean. Two people talking on the way out were clearly unimpressed and neither wanted to leave and let the other one down but (early in the relationship) both clearly wanted to go.

But Mark Kermode seems to have liked it!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sjQPLv6lio

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know what you mean. Two people talking on the way out were clearly unimpressed and neither wanted to leave and let the other one down but (early in the relationship) both clearly wanted to go.

But Mark Kermode seems to have liked it!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sjQPLv6lio

Much as I like what Kermode has to say a about films he does talk bollocks as much as he talks sense. Not seen his take on the Bowie film yet, but on "First men" (the moon landing and Armstrong) he asserted the film was about "loss" (referring to the sad death of Armstrong'd daughter) which seemed a remarkably silly claim for the film as a whole, and devastating though it would have been for Armstrong and his Mrs it wasn't a big part of the film

Much as I like what Kermode has to say a about films he does talk bollocks as much as he talks sense. Not seen his take on the Bowie film yet, but on "First men" (the moon landing and Armstrong) he asserted the film was about "loss" (referring to the sad death of Armstrong'd daughter) which seemed a remarkably silly claim for the film as a whole, and devastating though it would have been for Armstrong and his Mrs it wasn't a big part of the film

Just remember, Prof - Jaws wasn't about the shark.

(have you listened to his podcast since him+Mayo left the BBC? I'll be happy enough if it's more of the same)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We saw the Brendan Gleeson film "the Guard" we with Glesson as the titular rural Gardai sergeant. Cynical, a bit dodgy, and seemingly uninterested in his job, but ends up teamed up with FBI agent Don Cheadle to work on a major drugs bust. It kind of sounds conventional but clever script, well crafted filmaking, and above all Gleeson's utterly brilliant performance makes this a bit special. Maybe a bit darker than many Ealing comedies and certainly a lot more sweary but a brilliant black comedy

stephec

Squire
We saw the Brendan Gleeson film "the Guard" we with Glesson as the titular rural Gardai sergeant. Cynical, a bit dodgy, and seemingly uninterested in his job, but ends up teamed up with FBI agent Don Cheadle to work on a major drugs bust. It kind of sounds conventional but clever script, well crafted filmaking, and above all Gleeson's utterly brilliant performance makes this a bit special. Maybe a bit darker than many Ealing comedies and certainly a lot more sweary but a brilliant black comedy

I think I watched that a while ago, does it involve him not like them sticking their noses in with their fancy ways?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think I watched that a while ago, does it involve him not like them sticking their noses in with their fancy ways?

Sort of, but it's more subtle in that he's rude to everyone treating them with equal disdain, whether he's being obnoxious to his new partner, racist to the FBI guy, or plain insubordinate to his bosses. All done with an element of dry wit, so you can't quite tell if he's being funny or just unpleasant. He's quite a complex character really.

stephec

Squire
Sort of, but it's more subtle in that he's rude to everyone treating them with equal disdain, whether he's being obnoxious to his new partner, racist to the FBI guy, or plain insubordinate to his bosses. All done with an element of dry wit, so you can't quite tell if he's being funny or just unpleasant. He's quite a complex character really.

I seem to remember a couple of prostitutes being involved later in the film as well, just to cement his slimeiness.

Top Bottom