What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Le Man's 66 which we found very good and quite factual

I watched a snippet - the lawn fisticuffs. Quite amusing, and I enjoyed Christian Bale's accent!

The Battery

Zombie survival tale of 2 friends in northern america. Its very low budget but very high quality, the two leads are brilliant together and the only tip I'll give is don't google it or watch a trailer:okay:

Also the soundtrack is amazing - I'm waiting for a 'Friday Night is Film Night - Zombies!' to post some up lol

The Abyss (Special Edition)

A brutal production gave us one of the most thougth provoking films made. It's easily in my top 5 of underwater films. The special edition was made after the experience of making Terminator 2 allowed the special effects company ILM to go back and give James Cameron what he wanted.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Saturday's post-Friday's-ride-and-wedding-reception recovery included:

Breaking Away: Much-lauded 1979 coming-of-age-on-a-bike flick; wasn't quite what I expected; was entertaining enough but a bit too mainstream / fairy tale for my tastes.

The Dead Zone: 1983 David Cronenberg directed adaptation of a Stephen King story starring Christopher Walken as a bloke who gains the ability to see premonitions of peoples' deaths / future after an accident. A favourite of mine; as always a great performance from Walken, one of King's better efforts and far less viscerally horrific than some of Crononberg's other works (not that I have a problem with that, and I think I'm due the annual re-screening of Shivers and /or Scanners as these are also favourites).

For dessert I had three episodes of gritty '90s cop drama Homicide: Life on the Street, which can be a bit dated / tepid at times but still has the capacity to hit hard.

I also watched Hacksaw Ridge recently; which was pretty heavy but blunted somewhat by the obvious hollywood production undercurrents running through it. Good story though and props to the balls of the bloke whose story upon which it's based.

Breaking Away: Much-lauded 1979 coming-of-age-on-a-bike flick; wasn't quite what I expected; was entertaining enough but a bit too mainstream / fairy tale for my tastes.

I've seen that years ago as I remember the ending but had forgotten the name, might have to give it a re-watch:okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Elvis at the cinema.

Not an Elvis fan but Mrs SD likes some of his tracks. And some are good for a smoochy, boozy dance.

I have to say that apart from being a bloody good looking guy he did have a great voice and could definitely move.

The film was cracking, very atmospheric. Hanks who played Tom Parker was brilliant and Austin Butler playing Elvis was superb.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed what was ultimately a tragic tale.

Ford v Ferrari, over the past couple of nights:okay:

I knew the story, & that old man Enzo, used the Ford offer to buy him, to up Fiats bid
Christian Bale was excellent, if rather more decipherable than (the real) Ken Miles, he was probably asked not to try a Brummie accent, for the Yank audiences

Even the 'baby' 289 GT40, could spin the wheels............ at 170MPH:eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP3-X1cZMYg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Prey.

The latest in the Predator franchise. After the daft nonsense that was Predators, i didn't bother with The Predator but saw the trailer for Prey and figured I'd give it a go. Set in 1719, the alien hunter lands in the midwest and bothers a Comanche tribe, but ultimately gets battered by a girl :okay: All good fun but the final kill shot just baffled me. I'm not convinced, but it's up there with Predator and Predator 2.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Churchill, The Hollywood Years - Yes its rubbish but it still entertained me for a while.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We saw "Bullet Train" a few days back. Several groups of rival assassins are on the Japanese bullet train trying to get hold of a briefcase of money and / or the kidnapped son of a Yakuza chief. Much violence and mayhem results. Basically it's a cross between a Guy Ritchie film, Tarantino violence and almost Ealing black comedy. Doesn't take itself at all seriously and though a few notches less clever than its influences, it's well crafted and entertaining stupid fun, which was just what we wanted.

AndyRM

XOXO
The new Top Gun - 5/10

Pretty much the same as the first one. The plane scenes are impressive, but it's not particularly engaging. Brain popcorn territory. It's not really bad, but it's not really good.

Ford v Ferrari, over the past couple of nights:okay:

I knew the story, & that old man Enzo, used the Ford offer to buy him, to up Fiats bid
Christian Bale was excellent, if rather more decipherable than (the real) Ken Miles, he was probably asked not to try a Brummie accent, for the Yank audiences

Even the 'baby' 289 GT40, could spin the wheels............ at 170MPH:eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP3-X1cZMYg

Le Mans '66 for Europeans😉

I thought Jon Bernthal, Josh Lucas and Caitriona Balfe were great supporting in that. Bale and Damon killed it, and its probably the best modern motorsport film I've seen.

I fully hold my head high in admitting a little tear came from me a few times in the story. Especially at the end of Le Man.

HAPPY.

Top Bottom