What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The Father, with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman. Great film, but certainly not a feelgood film, that certainly had me thinking, both about the plot and the problems that will affect a lot of us. :sad:

My uncle died with dementia a couple of years back and, like the father in the title, he was fixated on the imagined theft of his watch by family members.
I’ve just finished watching it. As sad as it was, it was done incredibly well. That’s got to be the closest to suffering from dementia it is possible to feel without it actually happening. Amazing writing and acting.

Storks. Totally ludicrous animation, strictly for kids.
We loved it.
10/10

High hopes for this. And it's got an actor with Tom and Holland in his name, which is generally a good thing.
A lot of people are complaining of wonky camera angles, the " Dutch Angles" camerawork that was a feature of the original movie. If people dont like it, all they have to do is put some books under one side of the TV.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We went to see "the Duke" earlier. It's a fact based film of the theft and subsequent return of a Goya painting of the Duke of Wellington by an eccentric geordie working man making a political protest about TV licences of all things; he's a nutter basically, staring Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren as his long suffering wife. With those two it's going to be at worst watchable if slightly sentimental and twee given the subject. But wow, it it was utterly brilliant. It's not per se a comedy but I was laughing out loud, with tears down my cheeks on occasion, and I wasn't alone in that. The stars were superb as you'd expect and the script, direction, and cinematography were outstanding. In essence a modern day Ealing Comedy largely based on fact

Brilliant - go and see it

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Scarface - 6/10

Decided to watch this again to see if my opinion of it had changed. Not really. Pacino saves it from being dull as anything, but beyond him there really isn't much to appreciate.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Scarface - 6/10

Decided to watch this again to see if my opinion of it had changed. Not really. Pacino saves it from being dull as anything, but beyond him there really isn't much to appreciate.
That's one film that really doesn't deserve the hype. And the fact that it's twice as long as it should be doesn't help.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
We went to see "the Duke" earlier. It's a fact based film of the theft and subsequent return of a Goya painting of the Duke of Wellington by an eccentric geordie working man making a political protest, he's a nutter basically, staring Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren as his long suffering wife. With those two it's going to be at worst watchable if slightly sentimental and twee given the subject. But wow, it it was utterly brilliant. It's not per se a comedy but I was laughing out loud, with tears down my cheeks on occasion, and I wasn't alone in that. The stars were superb as you'd expect and the script, direction, and cinematography were outstanding. In essence a modern day Ealing Comedy largely based on fact

Brilliant - go and see it
I saw that recently and it's a great film, quintessentially English, like Brassed Off and The Full Monty, loved it.

I also watched The Courier a few days ago. Again a film based on fact, set at the time of the Cuban missile crisis. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the main role very well. I think it was on Amazon Prime.

Top Bottom