What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Watched Jim Jarmusch's first film, Permanent Vacation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6xGoF0uzM

If you have seen Jim's latest release, Paterson (and I can thoroughly recommend you do, regardless of caveats for other people's taste), and wondered how a feature film can have none of a film's usual features such as plot, storyline or character development, a quick comparison with Permanent Vacation will reveal just how far Jimmy has developed the complexity and subtlety of his storytelling without losing any of his deftness or love of outsiders. Permanent Vacation was also Jimmy baby's graduation film. He failed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8pGJBgiiDU

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Run Silent, Run Deep - a surprisingly good WW2 submarine story, with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster doing the nutty captain/crew's-only-hope 2nd in command head-butting business with a controlled tension that's effectively heightened by the claustrophobic interiors and maddening beeps. An easy 7/10.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I watched Warsaw 44. What a stomach-churning insight into the treachery of Uncle Joe that is! It starts with a group of young people all lovey-dovey and makes you think it's going to be twee and all sweet. It isn't. With the Russians on the opposite bank of the Vistula, the citizens of Warsaw rise up against the Nazis in the expectation Stalin will arrive imminently. His air-force base is less than five minutes flying time away but Stalin doesn't arrive. He leaves the Poles to their hideous fate and in this film, it is shown in all its graphic horror. Children shot dead, babies blown up, the callous cruelty of the Nazis on show for all to see. It took three goes to see it all through because it is a gruesome account of what Warsaw went through when over 100,000 of its people were murdered in the most brutal fashion imaginable. May all the devils of the worst hell be daily setting fire to Joseph Stalin and pissing the flames out from their diseased bladders.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Past - tightly plotted, beautifully acted French film that brilliantly dissects a little clump of toxic relationships and the protagonists and bystanders who fall victim. Engaging, moving, and in truth ultimately pretty damn depressing. The French don't really seem too into happy endings. Angst seems to be more their thing.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I thought it was very good but took my lad whos 9 and my 5 year old daughter who was bored all the way through .

It's not a chick flick then.

AndyRM

XOXO
Fences - 8/10

Denzel directs himself in a very sad tale of a guy coming to terms with the reality of more modern times, his own shortcomings and personal demons.

It's about half an hour too long and it had a natural end point that would have been neat but other than that a very good film.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd never seen Up in the Air (terrible name) but when I read the description in the listing it rang a bell. And it scored well on IMdB. So I watched it.

And afterwards I did what I seldom do and went back to IMdB and clicked on a link, and someone had posted:

upload_2017-2-18_1-25-22.png

And there were some cracking suggestions...

"Are you angry at your keyboard?"
"I type with purpose"

"I'm like my mother. I stereotype. It's faster."

"Today, I took my first crap in two weeks. Hallelujah."

"I'm a parenthesis?"

And then someone had posted this:

Spoilers.... Since this isn't a comedy, the funny lines are window dressing. There are plenty of them, and plenty of them are memorable, but the best line is the one that perfectly defines Ryan when he shows up at Alex's door in Chicago. As he's backing away, and she's closing the door her husband asks who was at the door. She replies, "Just somebody who's lost." We don't even see her as she delivers the line. It's treated as a throw-away, but it's the heart of the film.

I admire this and other Jason Reitman films I've seen because they confront real human problems with wisdom and compassion. It's a relief that Hollywood can still produce movies like this when the public interest is so fixed on situational ethics and violence. There's immorality in Reitman's films, but it's always measured against a moral scale. This movie spends a great deal of time establishing the glamor of Ryan's life, transitions to a more equivocal view of his rudderless and goalless existence, and ends with his standing motionless, looking at a long list of destinations. Alex's line captures him perfectly.

I don't think I've ever read a better 'review'.

Top Bottom