What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Went to the multiplex to see T2: Trainspotting, but when we got there the guy warned us it was in their smallest screen with just 5 rows of seats.
"How big is the screen?" said I "Oh it's like watching a big telly" said he.
Well, there was no way I was paying over twenty notes to watch "a big telly" (I've got one of them at home...) and the only thing about to start anytime soon was The Lego Batman Movie.

So we paid and went in.

The original Lego Movie was a riot and the Batman follows a similar path, right from the outset.
While it's primarily a kid's film, there are loads of jokes for grown ups that will drift over their heads - watch out for the registration number of the car as Alfred escapes from Wayne Manor...and the film is very self aware of the Batman heritage, referencing it (and other movies) throughout.

8/10 - and straight into the top 3 Batman movies :okay:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Just watched the latest Jungle Book

it was ok but a bit long winded

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just back from T2 Trainspotting.
I cant add much to what has been said, except it is fantastic.
Didnt need the Irvine Welsh cameo, but it is an excellent film.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My film this week starred Karl Urban, Dwayne Johnson and Rosamund Pike - it also had a score by Clint Mansell. Amazing, right?

Well, no, because it was 2005's "Doom" (Netflix). A succession of largely forgettable characters, played by people you feel you'd rather enjoy in a better film play stereotypes plucked from the big book of space soldiers. They are dragged through grates in scenes that make you wish you'd watched Aliens. They say things that slightly remind you of the colonial marines, and make you wish you'd watched Aliens. Dwayne Johnson (here still credited as "The Rock") gives no inkling of the starry sparkle that makes him such an appealing presence in the ok films that he somehow makes you end up liking, and Pike and Urban are given far too little to do by a by the numbers script.

A segment shot in first person perspective (presumably as a nod to the eponymous game) drains what little tension exists, because we know what the stakes are in video games (back to the last save, start again). It also feels slightly icky, if not downright irresponsible, as the character mows down opponents to a thumping metal track. "Hey, this is exciting" the film says - "No, no it isn't" we murmur, and back away nervously.

There's also a weirdly out of place hand to hand / wrestlemania style battle between Urban's character and The Rock (neither of whose characters' names I can remember). Presumably because they'd paid to have The Rock, so why not. I think because it's a weird thing to put in a film that's all gunplay, based on a game that's all gunplay, just because you employed a wrestler in one of the roles. That's why not.

There's an in joke in that there's a character called Doctor Carmack. John Carmack being the lead programmer of the Doom game; there's also one about the BFG (Big Freakin' Gun) that features in the game. I nodded at those references.

Even Mansell's soundtrack succumbs to the enjoyment vaccum of this film, a welter of techno metal that makes you question whether this is the same composer that gave us Requiem for a Dream, and Moon.

The Two Stars this has on Netflix seems generous.

AndyRM

XOXO
My film this week starred Karl Urban, Dwayne Johnson and Rosamund Pike - it also had a score by Clint Mansell. Amazing, right?

Well, no, because it was 2005's "Doom" (Netflix). A succession of largely forgettable characters, played by people you feel you'd rather enjoy in a better film play stereotypes plucked from the big book of space soldiers. They are dragged through grates in scenes that make you wish you'd watched Aliens. They say things that slightly remind you of the colonial marines, and make you wish you'd watched Aliens. Dwayne Johnson (here still credited as "The Rock") gives no inkling of the starry sparkle that makes him such an appealing presence in the ok films that he somehow makes you end up liking, and Pike and Urban are given far too little to do by a by the numbers script.

A segment shot in first person perspective (presumably as a nod to the eponymous game) drains what little tension exists, because we know what the stakes are in video games (back to the last save, start again). It also feels slightly icky, if not downright irresponsible, as the character mows down opponents to a thumping metal track. "Hey, this is exciting" the film says - "No, no it isn't" we murmur, and back away nervously.

There's also a weirdly out of place hand to hand / wrestlemania style battle between Urban's character and The Rock (neither of whose characters' names I can remember). Presumably because they'd paid to have The Rock, so why not. I think because it's a weird thing to put in a film that's all gunplay, based on a game that's all gunplay, just because you employed a wrestler in one of the roles. That's why not.

There's an in joke in that there's a character called Doctor Carmack. John Carmack being the lead programmer of the Doom game; there's also one about the BFG (Big Freakin' Gun) that features in the game. I nodded at those references.

Even Mansell's soundtrack succumbs to the enjoyment vaccum of this film, a welter of techno metal that makes you question whether this is the same composer that gave us Requiem for a Dream, and Moon.

The Two Stars this has on Netflix seems generous.

Your review was more entertaining than the film deserves!

I'm sure when it came out they made a big deal about how it was the first film to feature a FPS view EVER! Only that isn't true and to be honest if you're using that as a selling point something clearly isn't right.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
How to Plan an Orgy in a Small Town. Big city journalist Cassie, slut-shamed out of her small Canadian town several years ago, returns on her mother's death and ends up planning an orgy for some of the townies. Handles the subject in a witty way without falling into the trap of being excessively crude. Plus it stars Jewel Staite, which is always a bonus.

AndyRM

XOXO
Robert Carlyle is 55, ten years older than the other 3 main actors.
Bit unfair that he is playing a charater who is supposed to be only 1 year older than the others.

Yeah I get that, but in his recent films he's been his usual trim self, which is why I don't understand why he's been beefed up for this.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure when he's popped up in the various Edinburgh books since its been said that prison made him leaner and meaner, not fatter. A minor thing at the end of the day, more of an observation than a criticism really.

AndyRM

XOXO
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 3/10

I can't think of a sequel so different in tone to its predecessor. I can only imagine the production meeting went like this:

"Tobe, good news, we'd like you to make Texas Chainsaw 2!"

"Awesome!!"

"Yeah, we've got you a decent budget, some returning cast members even though the first one genuinely nearly killed people. Oh yeah Dennis Hopper is on board. There's, uh, just one thing."

"OK..."

"You have to totally bollocks it up."

*Time passes*

"Guys, here's the final cut! I did what you asked."

"Wow. Tobe. We were. Uh. We were joking?"

"...Ah."

smiler1207

Watched Ex Machina last night. Really enjoyed it. Thought provoking and a bit creepy. Good acting from the 3 leads , especially the fantastic Alicia Vikander.
Watched this the other day and really enjoyed it!

Watched "Arrival" last night...Thought it was OK...bit boring for me but appreciated the visuals, sound and directing. Sci-fi fans will like it.

Top Bottom