What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I rewatched Nightcrawler.

Jake Gyllenhaal lost masses of weight to make his character look as hungry on the outside as he is on the inside, and it's a brilliant performance from him. A very enjoyable dark film.

movies-ncrawler-103114-videosixteenbynine540.jpg

Riz Ahmed is also excellent in it.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Kenneth Branagh's Henry V. Excellent. Forsooth.

Pretty good film - loved the opening where Jacobi as The Chorus dressed in a modern overcoat introduces the play "Oh for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention...." whilst walking round a film set in a long tracking shot. As he builds up the play you get less and less film equipment and more and more tapestries and armour. Brilliant dramatically and filmically.

Not so good is playing cheesy music ovee Brannagh's otherwise perfectly Ok Crispin's day speech.

His Much Ado About Nothing is pretty good too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Interstellar (Prime)
A great film about exploration sandwiched between a beginning section that wasn't quite as good, and a final section that veered way too much towards supernatural handwaving for my taste. The bit in the middle is good enough that I'd recommend it still.

The Judge (Prime)
I saw about two thirds of this, as Mrs M was watching it - it seemed to me like a superior melodrama, starring Robert Duvall and Robert Downey Jr.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We love the movies, us and we have seen a mixed bag over this weekend.

10 Cloverfield Lane. (John Goodman). First 3/4 quite good-excellent then totally destroyed over the last 1/4 when it descends into total stupidity. It's like watching someone get all the ingredients right until you begin to anticipate the moment of actually eating it, and then instead of putting in a correctly heated oven, the producer of the dish sticks it on the window ledge so all the birds can peck at it and destroy what you had great hopes for! Total srock of chit. The worst 6/10 it's possible to bestow on any movie.

The Dressmaker. (Kate Winslet). Best film I've seen in a long while. It doesn't bode well to begin with when it dawns on you that it's an Australian film and not many good films have ever come out of that place! But then it cranks up and up and up and up! It really is a gem of a movie and has some stellar performances. A veritable best 6/10 I've ever awarded any film.

stephec

Squire
Over the past week I've watched -

Showboat - they don't make 'em like that anymore

Wild Geese II - entertaining enough

The Sweeney (2012) - seriously? A proper WTF of a film.

D

Deleted member 26715

10 Cloverfield Lane. (John Goodman). First 3/4 quite good-excellent then totally destroyed over the last 1/4 when it descends into total stupidity. It's like watching someone get all the ingredients right until you begin to anticipate the moment of actually eating it, and then instead of putting in a correctly heated oven, the producer of the dish sticks it on the window ledge so all the birds can peck at it and destroy what you had great hopes for! Total srock of chit. The worst 6/10 it's possible to bestow on any movie.
This is so true such a disappointment of what had up to the last 15 minutes had been a good film

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyRM

XOXO
Football Factory - 6/10

Not as good as I.D. or The Firm (which are both excellent) but definitely one of the better footie hooligan films. Yes, there are clichés all over the place and some scenes are truly dreadful but overall it's well made and actually tries to get a bit deeper than the puddle these films usually float around in.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The man who fell to earth. Surprisingly good, and Bowie is excellent as Bowie (the alien, not the singer). He barely 'acts' at all, but the overall effect is strangely compelling - and of course 'strange' is pretty much the essence of the entire movie. 7.5/10.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The man who fell to earth. Surprisingly good, and Bowie is excellent as Bowie (the alien, not the singer). He barely 'acts' at all, but the overall effect is strangely compelling - and of course 'strange' is pretty much the essence of the entire movie. 7.5/10.

I saw that film at the cinema when it fist came out ( the ABC in Staines if you're interested) an odd film but as you say strangely compelling. I've never been a fan of Bowie or his music but that film had an effect on me when I was a yoof. I only went because I got free tickets work for EMI at the time.

Sandra6

Veteran
We watched On the Road, the David Brent story.
It was funny, but not quite as funny as mr6 and no2son found it!
You have to be a fan of the office to appreciate it.

Top Bottom