What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Very true, see my post 5731.
If you fancy some "proper" kung fu business (and have Netflix), the Ip Man series is jolly good, and Donnie Yen is terrific in the title role. Old fashioned, in a good way.

EDIT: I realise now that I said that in reply to your post 5731! I am an old man.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mockingjay Part II (Netflix)

I've no idea how close any of these are to the books, as I've not read any, but this isn't bad. It moves further still from the non-stop action of the first two films (although there are some set pieces in there) becoming far more about the conduct of the war aganst the Capitol, good people doing bad things (and the lingering effect that has), justice and vengeance, and some canny stuff about propaganda and perceptions. Jennifer Lawrence is great, as you'd expect - all in all, a fitting closer for the series that made me quite keen to read the books to see how they tackled the themes the series has explored.

AndyRM

XOXO
Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - 9/10

I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton, though he has shaken my faith over the years (Planet of the Apes I'm looking at you), but I reckon this sees his back at his whimsical best. Funny, dark, surreal and a a bit twisted, with Eva Green a stand out, though the cast of children is very good indeed. I did think the end felt a bit rushed, but we were at baby cinema and our daughter had just befriended someone else's offspring so we were distracted.

There was a skeleton army and everything. Ray Harryhausen would have loved it!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - 9/10

I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton, though he has shaken my faith over the years (Planet of the Apes I'm looking at you), but I reckon this sees his back at his whimsical best. Funny, dark, surreal and a a bit twisted, with Eva Green a stand out, though the cast of children is very good indeed. I did think the end felt a bit rushed, but we were at baby cinema and our daughter had just befriended someone else's offspring so we were distracted.

There was a skeleton army and everything. Ray Harryhausen would have loved it!
can we add Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland?

Actually i didn't think Alice was that bad... just a long way from what he's capable of.

AndyRM

XOXO
can we add Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland?

Actually i didn't think Alice was that bad... just a long way from what he's capable of.

We can. Those two finish off my top three.

I was way more disappointed by Alice, it's pretty much perfect for him but he made a total hash of it.

Charlie was duff, mostly because it was like he'd given Depp free reign to do whatever and relied on fancy effects to make up for the complete lack of charisma and charm Depp assumed he'd brought.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Latest jungle book on Monday, jurassic world on tuesday, life of pets wednesday and ice age collision course tonight. I'm just as big a kids as my bairns ^_^

gbb

Squire
Beasts of No Nation.
Rebel warfare in Africa, anarchy, child soldiers, no doubt based on real events.

Idris Elba I think, never has been one of my favourite actors, don't know why.
Couldn't watch it. Half hour in, the pointless murder of a survivor of a convoy attack, just too brutal on my senses...no, turn it off, there's no pleasure in watching something like that. Very very rare for me to give in.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tormented (PVR'ed)
A pupil driven to suicide by bullies returns to wreak his revenge on his tormentors. No great surprises in store, but competently done.

Frank (PVR'ed)
[Welcoming Smile]
I assume that this is a very loose adaptation indeed of Jon Ronson's experiences playing keyboards in Frank Sidebottom's band. It's a good film, but as someone who lived in Timperley during what amounted to Frank Sidebottom's heyday, I felt a constant tension between enjoying what was on screen, and wishing for a smaller film that told a truer (to its inspiration) story. [Look of slight disappointment] Still worth your time though [Concilliatory half smile].

D

Deleted member 23692

Star Trek Beyond. Average
.....but great to know that The Beastie Boys save the known universe :thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arq (Netflix)

Interesting time travel/sci fi tale, a Netflix Original. It has echoes of "Timecrimes" and "Triangle" - difficult to talk about in detail without spoilers, especially in terms of the idea that differentiates itself from the two mentioned films, but worth watching.

Top Bottom