What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe Kidd
A fairly run of the mill western, with Clint Eastwood as the reluctant gunslinger brought out of retirement. Notable for John Saxon's turn as a Mexican revolutionary, which verges on parody/offense at times to more enlightened eyes.

The Epic of Everest
Recently shown on BBC4, a restored film of the 1924 expedition. Despite the grain, the limitations of the technology of the time, the powerful sense of "it was a different time" when the film discusses the people the expedition encounters, it's beautiful and haunting. The point at which they realise Mallory and Irvine are lost has real emotional punch too. Worth catching on iPlayer while you can.

The Admirable Crichton
A deferent butler saves the hides of his privileged masters when they are marooned on a desert island. Once rescued, the toffs proceed to act as though they saved themselves, concerned only about whether they might be caught out in their lie (with the chief toff saying that they'll have to sack Crichton (the butler) to avoid the awkwardness). Crichton has, it turns out, secured alternative means of support, and leaves to go into business.

At once both delightful, and massively irritating, this one. I couldn't quite regard it entirely as the period piece fluff that I should have, although it was still enjoyable. My sincere hope is that Crichton did very well for himself indeed, bought their stately home and turfed them out, and made it into something thoroughly dreadful, like a golf resort.

philk56

Guru
Kind Hearts and Coronets about to start on Gold. Absolute classic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Magnificent Seven (1960).....Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn, Brad Dexter and Eli Wallach.....one of my favourite westerns and film, great cast, great theme tune, great film.......9/10

Good call ! The original "Seven Samurai" is even better

Sandra6

Veteran
This weekend we watched Will Ferrel and Marky Mark in Daddy's home, which was hilarious. Can Will Ferrell make a bad film?! I think not. 10/10
Then we watched Grimsby without the children, and it was also hilarious, but not in the same way at all. Much as I enjoyed the bad taste hilarity, I do think they went a bit far , sometimes less is more. 7/10

AndyRM

XOXO
This weekend we watched Will Ferrel and Marky Mark in Daddy's home, which was hilarious. Can Will Ferrell make a bad film?! I think not. 10/10
Then we watched Grimsby without the children, and it was also hilarious, but not in the same way at all. Much as I enjoyed the bad taste hilarity, I do think they went a bit far , sometimes less is more. 7/10

Can Will Ferrell make a bad film? Yes. Lots of them. He has his moments but mostly bellows his way through unfunny scripts, mistaking volume for humour. He's traded off Saturday Night Live characters and jokes for way too long.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
The Epic of Everest
Recently shown on BBC4, a restored film of the 1924 expedition. Despite the grain, the limitations of the technology of the time, the powerful sense of "it was a different time" when the film discusses the people the expedition encounters, it's beautiful and haunting. The point at which they realise Mallory and Irvine are lost has real emotional punch too. Worth catching on iPlayer while you can.

Thanks, I'll check that one out. The 1924 expedition is a very interesting story to me.

Sandra6

Veteran
Can Will Ferrell make a bad film? Yes. Lots of them. He has his moments but mostly bellows his way through unfunny scripts, mistaking volume for humour. He's traded off Saturday Night Live characters and jokes for way too long.
Name one, blasphemer!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Name one, blasphemer!!!
Anchorman?

A film that's a lot more fun to quote at people than it is to actually watch (imo). He is brilliant in Zoolander though.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Watched The Legend of Tarzan yesterday, great CGI but the film itself wasn't anything special. Also in anticipation of the tv series starting next week I watched Westworld again.

Top Bottom