What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Easily. Though I have to admit I hated it the first time I watched it; I was young and stupid and saw it as taking the piss out of zombie films, rather than a loving homage.

Overall I really like The Cornetto Trilogy, but they did get progressively worse.
For me, Shaun, World's End, Fuzz.

Hot Fuzz is good, but it seemed to have lost confidence in the audience a bit, e.g. feeling the need to explain the Bad Boys homage, rather than just letting it sit in the film for people to "get". It's saved by some really great moments (the opening montage, the recurring swan, every time Dalton is on screen) but doesn't quite hang together.

I've not rewatched World's End as much as the others, but I think it gains something by making the Pegg character unsympathetic.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
For me, Shaun, World's End, Fuzz.

Hot Fuzz is good, but it seemed to have lost confidence in the audience a bit, e.g. feeling the need to explain the Bad Boys homage, rather than just letting it sit in the film for people to "get". It's saved by some really great moments (the opening montage, the recurring swan, every time Dalton is on screen) but doesn't quite hang together.

I've not rewatched World's End as much as the others, but I think it gains something by making the Pegg character unsympathetic.

My favourite joke in HF is when the white goods businessman is described as a "fridge magnate"

AndyRM

XOXO
Hell or High Water - Hhhhmmm/10

Very well shot and acted, really good soundtrack with a relevant message about morality and desperation. It was also very funny in places, which i hadnt expected. But there was something missing, and a bit off somehow. I can't put my finger on what that is just yet, but my cinema going partner in crime agreed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Heat.

The "Can I buy you a cup of coffee" scene is supposed to be some kind of thespian masterpiece for DeNiro and Pacino, but actually, it's hammed up and over the top and grossly overated IMHO.

Jon Voight is just fantastic but I can hardly understand a word he says. Fabulous anyway.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Heat.

The "Can I buy you a cup of coffee" scene is supposed to be some kind of thespian masterpiece for DeNiro and Pacino, but actually, it's hammed up and over the top and grossly overated IMHO.

Jon Voight is just fantastic but I can hardly understand a word he says. Fabulous anyway.

Agree, not a bad film overall, but the coffee shop scene is very silly and as you say, corny

I always thought it was a kind of prototype for Jurassic Park.
Apologies if you realise this, but they are both written by Michael Crichton.

Homicidal theme parks are a bit of a motif in his work.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apologies if you realise this, but they are both written by Michael Crichton.

Homicidal theme parks are a bit of a motif in his work.
I did. And that was what I was getting at, like he was refining the story: cowboys are ok but dinosaurs now we're talking

AndyRM

XOXO
Doomsday - 8/10

Hard to pick a Neil Marshall favourite as I really enjoy his films, but this is a strong contender. It's not original, it's light on sense and plot but it's a hoot to watch as it's basically a mash up of Mad Max, 28 Days Later and Escape from New York (2 of the characters are even named Miller and Carpenter).

My main disappointment is that most of the car chase scenes were filmed in South Africa, which is really obvious, especially the road markings.

Still, it's good fun and totally ridiculous which is exactly why I like Marshall. He seems to be doing mostly TV now but I'd like to see him getting another crack at something on the big screen.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I did. And that was what I was getting at, like he was refining the story: cowboys are ok but dinosaurs now we're talking

There was a lovely skit on the radio pointing out flaws in jurassic park. Rather than moaning about the science he suggested they'd surely need public liability insurance, and envisaged the conversation with their broker. "Ok, so you're resurrecting live dinosaurs and the public will have access, and you want insurance". "so have you done this kind of thing before?" "oh yes, twice". "how did it go, any accidents or claims". "well we did have a claim. The dinosaurs ran amok.. and ate most of the customers...... twice"

The Magnificent Seven (1960).....Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn, Brad Dexter and Eli Wallach.....one of my favourite westerns and film, great cast, great theme tune, great film.......9/10

+1
Great film from start to finish.:thumbsup:

stephec

Squire
For fans of eighties ninja films, Revenge of the Ninja on Netflix is a must see.

A Japanese guy (the goodie) is conned into going into business with an American associate (the baddie) after having his family wiped out by a gang of ninjas.

It's got the lot -
the goodie taking on five ninjas whilst he's unarmed
backflips thirty feet through the air
ninjas disappearing in a ball of smoke
goodie is really a ninja and climbs up the side of a skyscraper using just a set of clip on claws
baddie shooting flames from his wrists

The final fight scene is top class, can you guess who wins? :biggrin:

Top Bottom