What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Wolf of Wall Street. Repellent character, highly entertaining movie. Quite an achievement to make a three hour movie that never drags even a bit.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sicario - The tale of clandestine and questionable operation by the US agencies against a Mexican drug cartel.

Would have been a superb film except for Emily Blunt, who is totally miscast and whose dire performance gives the impression she's just there for the pay check.

6/10

Saw the other night - I'd give it 7/10.

It looks good, engages well, I liked Emily and the rest of the cast - well performed, directed etc...but I just didn't think the story was worth telling again. There is nothing new to see here, it's been done a thousand times.

Just watched Ronin with Robert De Niro.
The car chase alone makes it highly watchable,but I felt Sean Bean was a bit naff.
Jean Reno was very good though,continuing on from his role as Leon.
Entertaining,but a well used storyline of heists and group paranoia
8.5/10

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Olympus Has Fallen (hereafter OHF) (Netflix)

I do wonder what I'd have made of this if I hadn't watched White House Down (hereafter WHD) first.

It is, I think, better than the 1 1/2 stars that it has currently on Netflix, but I think WHD is my favourite of the two.

In both films, I do wonder if there's a degree to which being from the US would up the stakes some; in both films you see the destruction of significant locations, and threatening of the person of the president, and are invited (I think) to see them as more important than the destruction of other property and persons.

Anyroad, I think OHF's problem is that it wears a grittiness and semi-realism on its sleeve, but continually confronts you with the preposterous. (Trained secret service agents run into the path of heavy machine gun fire because, reasons, for example). There's also Gerard Butler, who seems like a rather dated, somewhat pre-Die Hard archetype of a hero; there's the problematic issue of the attackers being forrins, with Butler asking one "Do they speak English where you come from?" before killing one of his tied up prisoners and torturing the other, a la Jack Bauer.

WHD, on the other hand, has a schlubby (but oddly lucky/competent) hero in Channing Tatum, who is both a more agreeable screen presence, and fits more easily into the ludicrous events of his film.

In terms of stakes, both films check off a nuclear threat, although only WHD gives the protagonist more than the person of the president as a reason to return for the hostages
OHF actually dispenses with the "unimportant" hostages, i.e those that aren't Mr. President
. In terms of Die Hard tropes, OHF has helicopters and rooves,
and someone who appears to be a hostage but is actually a baddie
no vests though.

Jamie Foxx is a better president an' all, for my money.

Last edited:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Naked_Among_Wolves_2015_poster.png

It was very good. Tense and very interesting, German with subtitles.

D

Deleted member 23692

Act of Valour. A Jingoistic tale of Navy SEALs tracking down terrorists, with the parts of the SEALs being played by serving SEALs with full backing of the US military. Dialogues bits are awful, but the action scenes more than make up for it.

In this scene our heroes have just rescued an operative and are heading for extract pursued by the baddies... luckily the SWCC arrive just in time

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlDRTemjzQ

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyRM

XOXO
High Tension - 7/10

Basically a rip-off of Dean Koontz's novel "Intensity", but with the intelligence removed. Ridiculously violent, pretty tense but with plot holes all over the place which kind of spoil it. Still, gets major points for the realism of the special effects by de Rossi, who is a bit of a hero of mine.

AndyRM

XOXO
Baise Moi - 3/10

Tries so hard to be offensive that it almost becomes funny. Only it's not, it's just boring. The supposed feminist message never works and the "revenge" they exact for the most part isn't justifiable, it's just two folk on a senseless rampage.

Top Bottom