What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Troglodyte humans? That would be The Time Machine, I think.

(Confession: I once went to a day long marathon of all the original Planet of the Apes films. There were five, as I recall, including some that weirdly got future apes into present day USA, which makes no sense. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember any underground humans)

Yeah - how did that happen? I seem to remember them running around an old wwii ship.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeah, the originals had something to say what with the nuclear threat, race wars, cold war et. Of the times.

Plus they were monkey movies (he he he, see the monkey!).

For me, this one just had no story and no fun unlike Rise or the Mark Wahlberg one.

The Mark Wahlberg one was absolutely terrible. When Burton gets it wrong it goes horribly wrong (see also Willy Wonka).

I really liked Dawn, and am looking forward to War. Stupidly, I thought that the latest ones were continuing the Burton debacle so I'd never bothered with them until a pal set me right so War will be the first I've seen at the cinema.

ShipHill

I watched The Human Centipede last night. What a load of rubbish.

I only watched it because a mate of mine keeps harping on about it being brilliant.

I saw HC2 a year or so ago and that was drivel too. I think there's a 3rd.. Jeez!

Utter... UTTER bilge.

Human Centipede = great concept but truly terrible execution. The second is easily the most disgusting.
Um, I haven't seen any of the films, but I am somewhat aware of the concept. Not the plot, just the idea of the human centipede. I can't imagine it as anything but disgusting. I can't imagine a good film around that concept. Who do you imagine should have directed it, to realise its great concept? Igmar Bergman, David Lynch, John Ford, Tom Ford, the Coen Brothers, the Wachowski siblings sisters, Takashii Miike (yeah, maybe), John Woo, Quentin Tarantino, Zhang Yimou, Chris Columbus, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg?

Honestly, I can't imagine a good film built around that premise. I doubt seeing the existing movies will help. How do you envision it as a good movie?

Edit; Fixed above. I am out of date, I didn't know that both of the Wachowskis were transgendered.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bad Timing. Odd. Art Garfunkel, for starters. And some woman. Both behaving rather oddly. For some time. During which nothing terribly coherent happened. Quite a lot of NSFW-ery. Not that good, but not exactly bad either. Odd. Don't regret watching it, not sure I'd watch it again. Did I mention it was a bit odd?

AndyRM

XOXO
Um, I haven't seen any of the films, but I am somewhat aware of the concept. Not the plot, just the idea of the human centipede. I can't imagine it as anything but disgusting. I can't imagine a good film around that concept. Who do you imagine should have directed it, to realise its great concept? Igmar Bergman, David Lynch, John Ford, Tom Ford, the Coen Brothers, the Wachowski siblings sisters, Takashii Miike (yeah, maybe), John Woo, Quentin Tarantino, Zhang Yimou, Chris Columbus, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg?

Honestly, I can't imagine a good film built around that premise. I doubt seeing the existing movies will help. How do you envision it as a good movie?

Edit; Fixed above. I am out of date, I didn't know that both of the Wachowskis were transgendered.

I will explain my thinking tomorrow when I'm not using a vaguely knackered tablet keyboard.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bad Timing. Odd. Art Garfunkel, for starters. And some woman. Both behaving rather oddly. For some time. During which nothing terribly coherent happened. Quite a lot of NSFW-ery. Not that good, but not exactly bad either. Odd. Don't regret watching it, not sure I'd watch it again. Did I mention it was a bit odd?
I saw it in the Seventies at some university art house cinema. All the characters seemed pretty cool at the time. I managed to last about twenty minutes a couple of days ago and realised I've become an old git. Absolutely wonderful photography though.

Tin Pot

Guru
The Imitation Game

Wow, I really felt Cumberbatch knew me in the introductory scenes. It's rare that I can directly relate to a character so quickly in a film. That's how I think. That's how my son thinks. And it takes decades to accept that everyone doesn't think like that, perhaps if I'd finished my neuroscience degree I'd have figured out why.

Great movie.

This is what it's like to try to create something people want, that they don't understand.

It stays away from too much fanfare and his personal life which I think is cool too.

9/10

fimm

Veteran
The current Star Trek film, still on at our local multiplex.
The good guys were good and the bad guys were bad and the good guys came out on top in the end. Just what I want from a film
I enjoyed it.
Impressive special effects too - if you can see it in IMAX / 3D and you like that kind of thing I think it would be worth it (I can't see 3D effects, due to having a dodgy eye, so I'm never very enthusiastic about them).

AndyRM

XOXO

Alrighty, here goes...

First of all, they are supposed to be disgusting. They are horror films. That they've disgusted you without even seeing them means they've achieved what "video nasties" like Cannibal Holocaust did years ago - upset folk just by existing.

As a trilogy, it's a clever idea. The first film is camp, ridiculous and surreal - a send up of shock-horror/exploitation films from back in the day. The second is the grim reality of someone taking the imaginary and using it as an escape from his own awful reality. And it's rounded off by someone who has heard the story of the first two and decides to create the ultimate deterrent as a safeguard.

Unfortunately, Tom Six is an awful director who has realised his ideas very, very poorly which I think is a shame. Of your list I'd only consider Takashii Miike (and I assume you were joking about the rest of them as none of the others have any sort of reputation for directing horror). Dario Argento, Clive Barker, David Cronenberg, James Wan or Eli Roth would have made a much better job of it, with Rob Kurtzman doing the special effects.

Top Bottom