What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a shame Agent Carter only got two series - I thought it was terrific.

Anyway, I liked the man out of time elements of the Captain America character - there's some nice business in that direction in The Winter Soldier too, although not enough (imo).

Agreed, in both aspects
The (war heroine, but possibly not revealed) female agent trying to fit in

Man out of time, seemed to still be partially the story in 'The Avengers' film itself?

Zoolander 2
Incredibly (too) silly,with jokes which were funny the first time in the first one,but regurgitated and definately not funny the second time round.
Big letdown.
3/10

Tin Pot

Guru
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
A bit pointless and boring, nothing interesting to say other than "ain't people bad?". Oldman is completely underused.

A vehicle for ape animation, and an empty one at that.

5/10

Tin Pot

Guru
Downfall

Been on my todo list for years. Thoughtful and thought provoking. It's so hard to imagine this as being a historical reality, but there it is. It explores what the people involved were thinking, and convincingly reveals their worldviews. I wouldn't say it generates any sympathy for the German civilians either, it's more a question of whether they brought it upon themselves.

Harsh, uncomfortable but utterly engaging.

8/10

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Downfall

Been on my todo list for years. Thoughtful and thought provoking. It's so hard to imagine this as being a historical reality, but there it is. It explores what the people involved were thinking, and convincingly reveals their worldviews. I wouldn't say it generates any sympathy for the German civilians either, it's more a question of whether they brought it upon themselves.

Harsh, uncomfortable but utterly engaging.

8/10
And inspiration for many an internet meme thereafter...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
A bit pointless and boring, nothing interesting to say other than "ain't people bad?". Oldman is completely underused.

A vehicle for ape animation, and an empty one at that.

5/10
I don't think it's quite that bad, but it would benefit from being all ape, I think - the human bits seemed a bit two dimensional, whilst still wanting to tell the story from "that side" in some way. The ape attack set piece is pretty spectacular.

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't think it's quite that bad, but it would benefit from being all ape, I think - the human bits seemed a bit two dimensional, whilst still wanting to tell the story from "that side" in some way. The ape attack set piece is pretty spectacular.

If all the apes were humans, would anything have to change in the story, and would there be anything to watch..?

The story is two groups of people, one natural and peace loving, the other desperate and dependant on technology.

The fact one group are apes is essentially irrelevant but for the title, and that's why I find it all pointless.

It's also very slow.

I mean honestly, why would anyone want to watch an ape movie? Action, nonsense, Sci Fi weirdness.

If you wanted a boring allegory on cultural clashes, and how awful people can be to each other watch Dances with Wolves or Avatar (at least that had a cool VR/AR exploration)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If all the apes were humans, would anything have to change in the story, and would there be anything to watch..?

The story is two groups of people, one natural and peace loving, the other desperate and dependant on technology.

The fact one group are apes is essentially irrelevant but for the title, and that's why I find it all pointless.

It's also very slow.

I mean honestly, why would anyone want to watch an ape movie? Action, nonsense, Sci Fi weirdness.

If you wanted a boring allegory on cultural clashes, and how awful people can be to each other watch Dances with Wolves or Avatar (at least that had a cool VR/AR exploration)

The Charlton Heston planet of the apes films were pretty good if I remember rightly. The ending of the first one particularly chilling, and ditto the one with the troglodyte humans (or was that summat else?)

The Charlton Heston planet of the apes films were pretty good if I remember rightly. The ending of the first one particularly chilling, and ditto the one with the troglodyte humans (or was that summat else?)
Troglodyte humans? That would be The Time Machine, I think.

(Confession: I once went to a day long marathon of all the original Planet of the Apes films. There were five, as I recall, including some that weirdly got future apes into present day USA, which makes no sense. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember any underground humans)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Troglodyte humans? That would be The Time Machine, I think.

(Confession: I once went to a day long marathon of all the original Planet of the Apes films. There were five, as I recall, including some that weirdly got future apes into present day USA, which makes no sense. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember any underground humans)

I think the troglodyte humans, not the morlocks, had got hold of a left over nuclear missile, and heston was trying to stop them setting it off. Was one of the later sequels, but not the one where the talking ape gets back to (our) earth. It might not have been PoA at all mind, but not he time machine - another good film (the proper one obviously)

I think the troglodyte humans, not the morlocks, had got hold of a left over nuclear missile, and heston was trying to stop them setting it off. Was one of the later sequels, but not the one where the talking ape gets back to (our) earth. It might not have been PoA at all mind, but not he time machine - another good film (the proper one obviously)
Ah, probably the aptly named "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"

(only sequel worth anything, as I recall. but sadly it seems I don't actually recall what it was about. Actually, not sadly, as it maybe I have used that part of my brain to remember what an enzyme is - cross thread joke!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ah, probably the aptly named "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"

(only sequel worth anything, as I recall. but sadly it seems I don't actually recall what it was about. Actually, not sadly, as it maybe I have used that part of my brain to remember what an enzyme is - cross thread joke!)

Yes, I think that was it. I recall it being rather good, but accept that may be a minority view

AndyRM

XOXO
Quite like all the original Apes films. The first is easily the best, but there's a lot to enjoy about the others. I've got a remastered box set which has an extended interview/documentary with Roddy McDowall taking you through all 5.

Tin Pot

Guru

Yeah, the originals had something to say what with the nuclear threat, race wars, cold war et. Of the times.

Plus they were monkey movies (he he he, see the monkey!).

For me, this one just had no story and no fun unlike Rise or the Mark Wahlberg one.

Top Bottom