What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Locke

A genuinely riveting film that takes place entirely in one man's car, as he drives to London. The titular character attempts to hold his life together, along with the building job he is construction manager for through a series of 'phone calls to and from the people in his personal and work lives.

Tom Hardy is great (occasional wobbles in his accent aside), and has to be, as we only ever see him on screen. A far more controlled performance than we are, perhaps, used to as well.

The title character tries to control his life, and acts, in opposition to the example set by his father. There's something similar from Locke's own son towards the end of the film, as he plans out the day that his disintegrating family will have once Locke returns home. The ending is also nicely done - I'd expected a grim unravelling of Ivan Locke's hopes, and attempts to control the situation he has created, but it ends half hopeful - Locke's control achieves two of the three aims he had, and we're left to ponder on whether it was worth the cost to him.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Locke

A genuinely riveting film that takes place entirely in one man's car, as he drives to London. The titular character attempts to hold his life together, along with the building job he is construction manager for through a series of 'phone calls to and from the people in his personal and work lives.

Tom Hardy is great (occasional wobbles in his accent aside), and has to be, as we only ever see him on screen. A far more controlled performance than we are, perhaps, used to as well.

The title character tries to control his life, and acts, in opposition to the example set by his father. There's something similar from Locke's own son towards the end of the film, as he plans out the day that his disintegrating family will have once Locke returns home. The ending is also nicely done - I'd expected a grim unravelling of Ivan Locke's hopes, and attempts to control the situation he has created, but it ends half hopeful - Locke's control achieves two of the three aims he had, and we're left to ponder on whether it was worth the cost to him.
Watched it a week or so ago - one of those rare films that makes you think 'I've never seen anything remotely like this before'. An audacious idea, triumphantly executed, with a stunning solo performance doing full justice to an impeccable script.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll. Very good it was too. I watched it on BBC iPlayer. It was so good, I might just watch it again very soon.

Watched this last night. it portrayed Ian Dury as being so annoying and a proper nobber, maybe the truth? though some nobbers can be liked

I didn't think Ian's nobbery was fun one bit

Switched off 3/4 the way through the film

My take on Ian Dury has been tainted and ruined and probably won't ever play them vinyls ever again

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Watched this last night. it portrayed Ian Dury as being so annoying and a proper nobber, maybe the truth? though some nobbers can be liked

My take on Ian Dury has been tainted and ruined and probably won't ever play them vinyls ever again
Apparently it was reasonably close to the truth. I think he was a complex and difficult sort of chap. Still playing the vinyls though.:smile: The film has not changed my opinion.

In a strange way,being a nobber makes people more interesting .
Which is why I strive to be one every day.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Kidulthood

Hampered by its protagonists being more or less completely unsympathetic, I thought, it still manages to produce an "Oh no!" lurch at the denouement.

That's assuming you can sit through the first part of the film watching them getting into bad situations through ego and misplaced pride, harassing women, etc etc.

AndyRM

XOXO
Kidulthood

Hampered by its protagonists being more or less completely unsympathetic, I thought, it still manages to produce an "Oh no!" lurch at the denouement.

That's assuming you can sit through the first part of the film watching them getting into bad situations through ego and misplaced pride, harassing women, etc etc.

A good summary. Set of twats the lot of them. It seems fitting you've posted this after my review of the most "FFSake give the guy a break" film for a while.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Interesting Werder Herzog drama about a young man who begins his life in a dark cellar, released after 17 years, able to speak a single sentence, taught to him by his captor. The film describes his journey through the society of the time, which meets him with a mixture of kindness (mostly), curiosity and cruelty.

The film itself is enigmatic, with a closing monologue declaring that the result of an examination of Kaspar explains everything, although the film itself belies that easy resolution.

Not the transcendantly Herzog of something like Cave of Forgotten Dreams, and very '70s at times, but a good watch nonetheless.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Wrestler - 9/10

It's hard to pick an Aronofsky favourite, but this would definitely be up there. The scene where Mickey Rourke is walking though the back of a supermarket is genuinely heartbreaking and total genius.

Sort of found it:

I've that taped to watch tomorrow @John the Monkey. I'm thinking it's an early evening affair accompanied by a glass of red wine.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Andy Serkis was on R4 when the film was released. He said he'd met Ian Dury once decades ago and described him as 'horrible'. I regard Dury as one of our greatest lyricists... not bothered if he was a nice bloke or not.

subaqua

What’s the point
The Martian (2015)....Matt Damon...I really enjoyed this film, great bit of acting from Matt Damon, he is an actor I've always liked and enjoy most of his films, some nice bits of humour throughout the film, all in all an excellent film 8/10...

also watched it . a bit far fetched in places but feasible

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Swallows and Amazons. 5/10 if that.
It introduced a whole plot line that was unnecessary and unrealistic, added some squabbles that weren't there in the book, and got rid of the whole 'independant and capable females' feel of Arthur Ramsomes writing.
Susan Walker would have been perfectly capable of cooking a fish.

Top Bottom