What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just watched Tom Jones, with Albert Finney, which I vaguely remember watching at school. Absolutely wonderful! A brilliant story at the heart of it, of course, but brought to life with fantastic, innovative direction, including affectionate nods to the silents, extraordinary action sequences, unsurpassed breaches of the fourth wall ("Did you see her take it?"), uncommon acknowledgements of some of the grimmer realities of the place and time, and tour de force performances from the entire cast (who clearly relished every minute), centred of course on the sublime Albert Finney - one of the greats, never better - and the heart-stoppingly gorgeous Susannah York. Just perfect!
Is that the movie were he gives his girlfriend (a) thrush? I remember laughing hard at that 'til I noticed my father giving me a Paddington-Bear stare.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is that the movie were he gives his girlfriend (a) thrush? I remember laughing hard at that 'til I noticed my father giving me a Paddington-Bear stare.
Yes. Strange to tell, I never made the connection. I have lived a pure and moral life. Clearly.

AndyRM

XOXO
Goon - 6.9/10

Apparently based on a trusle story, Sean William Scott is an irrationally hard dude who turns his hand to ice hockey, specifically the guy who comes on to batter his opposing number.

Beneath the stupidity, crass jokes and violence is a movie with the thing that all good sports films need: a belief that the underdog can achieve something despite the odds.

Sort of like Rocky on ice with a few jokes thrown in.

TVC

Hotel Transylvania.

When I say watched, the little girl in the row in front of me on the plane had it on. I saw bits of it with no sound as she had the headphones, but at least the constant flashing screen stopped me from snoozing for 12 feckin hours on an overnight flight from Hong Kong.

macp

Guru
Watched we`re the millers the other night it was actually quite funny.

Also wanted to add we really enjoyed the following on Netflix.

House of cards
Making a murderer
Stranger things
The returned

Last edited:
Hotel Transylvania.

When I say watched, the little girl in the row in front of me on the plane had it on. I saw bits of it with no sound as she had the headphones, but at least the constant flashing screen stopped me from snoozing for 12 feckin hours on an overnight flight from Hong Kong.

114.jpg

Reactions: TVC
Kung Fu Hustle.
Don't know what score to give it. I just like it ^_^

PaulB

Legendary Member
We watched Spud last night, a Durban set film about the trials and tribulations of a young schoolboy coming to teenage-hood while at boarding school. T'was alright. The usual 6/10.

But never mind all that, we're watching The Martian tonight. What is the opinion of the collective on this one?

gbb

Squire
Eye In The Sky.
Helen Mirren etc. Portrays a military drone surveillance operation with a view to capture militants in Kenya that descends into a need for a missile strike to take out an immediate but unexpected threat.
One innocent dies or many ?

A to and fro of moral, military and political arguements and counter arguements rage as decisions are delayed and made.

Bugger, I thought it was brilliant.

AndyRM

XOXO
Jason Bourne - 6/10

Action by numbers. Entertaining enough, vaguely ridiculous in places and pretty predictable, but I've seen worse. A huge improvement on the previous effort too, which really was awful.

Top Bottom