What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
12 Rounds - 2/10

Pretty much a terrible remake of Die Hard With a Vengeance. I should have known not to bother when John Cena popped up as the lead.

I gave it an extra point because the extended tram crash bit was so ludicrously awful that I couldn't help but be entertained.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Finally got around to watching the latest Star Wars, about a hour in and it feels like a remake of the original.

AndyRM

XOXO
Oldboy (Spike Jonze version)

Can't really give a rating as I got bored half way through so gave up on it.

One of the most pointless remakes I've seen: like so many the original is an absolute belter, so why f*ck with it?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just come back from the new Star Trek film. Whilst hardly a masterpiece of cinema it's great fun, romps along well, loads of ludicrous action and looks brilliant on the screen. If you like this sort of thing, highly recommended hokum

Watched the original 1954 Japanese Godzilla, much better than the Hollywood versions even with there multimillion dollar special effects:okay:.
Bit sad in the end:sad:.
Gojira, King of Monsters! It's a good film, out of a (then) struggling country. Years ago I watched much of the series.

(I'm assuming you saw the Japanese version, not the USA edit)
vvvvv mostly for the first row
rvg04.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
Agreed, it's a cracking film. Though I do like Hollywood's latest version.
The latest one, 2014, was terrible, nothing happened for 90 minutes then all the "limited" action is so dark you cannot see anything.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Haywire - 5/10

Brilliant cast let down by generic action/double cross script. The (plentiful) fight scenes were a bit odd, felt like they lacked impact.
I felt the opposite, oddly. The female lead looks like she's actually fighting, not "movie fighting". I wish they'd made her a recur
Agreed, it's a cracking film. Though I do like Hollywood's latest version.
Likewise. The shot of the parachutists descending between the clouds was one of the best things I saw that year. The film has popped up in Prime video recently too.

AndyRM

XOXO
I felt the opposite, oddly. The female lead looks like she's actually fighting, not "movie fighting". I wish they'd made her a recur

Likewise. The shot of the parachutists descending between the clouds was one of the best things I saw that year. The film has popped up in Prime video recently too.

I think this is the first time we've disagreed on a film in this thread! The only fight I believed her in was against Michael Fassbender. I've still got it saved so maybe I'll give it another look.

Assuming you were going to say recurring character? I agree on that.

The latest one, 2014, was terrible, nothing happened for 90 minutes then all the "limited" action is so dark you cannot see anything.

I thought it built the suspense and drama neatly, and as @John the Monkey points out had one of the stand out scenes of blockbuster cinema that year. I also thought that not revealing much of the monster was a pretty brave move, making it a far more effective "creature feature" than that awful version from the 90s.

As @jefmcg pointed out, there's a lot more the Godzilla than the Westernised versions give you, and I thought the new one captured that spirit.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
the revenant. very different to the book in so many ways, for example glass's motivation for hunting fitzgerald down was different (in the book he wanted his gun and knife back).

however, a brutal, violent and beautifully shot film with a great cast 8/10

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think this is the first time we've disagreed on a film in this thread! The only fight I believed her in was against Michael Fassbender. I've still got it saved so maybe I'll give it another look.

Assuming you were going to say recurring character? I agree on that
I'll have to revisit the post I'd intended to make! That sentence was actually "a recurring character in the Fast and Furious" franchise. I was responding on my 'phone, and that partial quote was an aborted reply that I hadn't noticed the forum software placing above my Godzilla reply.

I think the issue with Haywire may be that the opponents *are* "movie fighting", and that makes her style seem out of place? It's not great art, but I'd put it higher than middling, personally.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'll have to revisit the post I'd intended to make! That sentence was actually "a recurring character in the Fast and Furious" franchise. I was responding on my 'phone, and that partial quote was an aborted reply that I hadn't noticed the forum software placing above my Godzilla reply.

I think the issue with Haywire may be that the opponents *are* "movie fighting", and that makes her style seem out of place? It's not great art, but I'd put it higher than middling, personally.

Damn dirty forum software!

I've read up about Gina Carano and hadn't realised she was a Muay Thai/MMA fighter before acting. Having rewatched the fight scenes I agree with you, she's actually battering folk but their lack of fighting knowledge makes it look a bit weird for me.

Revised score of 6.5.

Friday night I saw The Island with Scarlett Johansson (who looks very good in a tight white skin suit) and Ewan McGregor. Seemed like a Logan's Run-type film. Entertaining but a bit weak. 5-10.

Last night I watched The In-Laws with Michael Douglas. Quite funny but not really very good. 4-10.

Top Bottom