What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Squad

Colombian psychological/supernatural horror. A squad of soldiers is sent to investigate a military base from which all communication has ceased.

The inhabitants have disappeared, leaving only a mysterious, imprisoned woman.

An idea that horror fans will know, and I don't think that there are that many departures from the expected narrative - what possibly make it more interesting is links to the dirty war against guerrillas, and the effect that has on the relationships between the soldiers. Although clearly not filmed with a huge budget, the filmmakers use the misty mountain setting, and the darkness of the base to increase the suspense and hide any deficiencies in the effects nicely.

Not a must see, but worth catching.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Bone Tomahawk. Western/horror with Kurt Russell, Mathew Fox, Patrick Wilson. Classic Western meets "Hills Have Eyes" style horror with a great performance from Kurt Russell as the sheriff of a sleepy town leading a rescue posse to find the town's doctor and deputy who have been abducted by mysterious, savage native troglodytes. There are parts of this film which are genuinely horrific. 9/10

AnneW

Über Member
Bridge of Spies, with Tom Hanks 8/10

Based on a true story. Good film.

Our interest in it was increased following a recent trip to Berlin. And I like Tom Hanks movies. Take both into account with my scoring :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Commando starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dan Hedaya. What a massive shile of pite this is! It was so excruciatingly bad, it became compulsive viewing in a 'did I just see that?' kind of way. I give it the most reserved 6/10 I've ever been forced to give to any film. After ten minutes, it accelerated into the top (bottom) 20 worst films I've ever seen but with each killing, it overtook those ahead of it until it settled at number 7 at the finish.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Netflix)
Mutant time travel business. This is entertaining enough (and Michael Fassbender is predictaby excellent as the past Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence is great even under the mystique make-up, &c). Ultimately though, I miss the focus on the X-Men of the '60s and '70s that First Class had.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies a French spy parody.

Although I fell asleep and missed the end it was a good film with plenty of chuckles. 7/10

Good choice, stays just on the right side of embarrassingly unwatchable, but very funny and extremly well filmed and crafted - on a par with Mel Brooks say. The chicken fight had me unable to breath with laughing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Commando starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dan Hedaya. What a massive shile of pite this is! It was so excruciatingly bad, it became compulsive viewing in a 'did I just see that?' kind of way. I give it the most reserved 6/10 I've ever been forced to give to any film. After ten minutes, it accelerated into the top (bottom) 20 worst films I've ever seen but with each killing, it overtook those ahead of it until it settled at number 7 at the finish.
Is that the one where he plays a character called Jack, his daughter gets kidnapped and he has to shoot sh!t loads of peeps before rescuing her? Or am i thinking of another Arnie film?? :rolleyes:

AndyRM

XOXO
Is that the one where he plays a character called Jack, his daughter gets kidnapped and he has to shoot sh!t loads of peeps before rescuing her? Or am i thinking of another Arnie film?? :rolleyes:

Is that not Taken?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Independence Day: Resurgence. 7/10 Worth a watch if you're in the mood for a silly over-dramatic Hollywood film. There were loads of rip-offs from the Alien films, but overall entertaining.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes, that's the one but he's called Matrix or something. He tears the passenger seat out of a sports car but a minute later, the owner of the car is sitting quite comfortably in the position he's just ripped the seat out from! It was too stupid for words.

AndyRM

XOXO
Think they were expecting how he went from Y-fronts under his bib shorts to, err, without.

He breathes out and they're done for...

image.jpg

Top Bottom