What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commando is not a "good" film per se, but it is exactly the film they were trying to make. It's perversely enjoyable. You feel like you are enjoying it ironically, but the irony is you are actually enjoying it in exactly the way the makers intended. I remember watching it on VHS with my mum, and her joy in the terribleness of mayhem combined with bad puns.

It's also the platonic ideal of an Arnie movie. If someone asks you "who is Arnold Schwarzenegger in popular culture?" just sit them in front of Commando, and jobs done.

stephec

Squire
Commando is not a "good" film per se, but it is exactly the film they were trying to make. It's perversely enjoyable. You feel like you are enjoying it ironically, but the irony is you are actually enjoying it in exactly the way the makers intended. I remember watching it on VHS with my mum, and her joy in the terribleness of mayhem combined with bad puns.

It's also the platonic ideal of an Arnie movie. If someone asks you "who is Arnold Schwarzenegger in popular culture?" just sit them in front of Commando, and jobs done.
Like you say, if you just want a bit of nonsense action with some hilarious dialogue then you can't go wrong.

I don't know how many times I've seen it but it always makes me laugh.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Commando is a good film, for that genre. Some classic dialogue. "You know I said I'd kill you last? ... I lied"

Anyway, I saw Star Trek Beyond at the cinema. Really good; better than Into Darkness which I also liked.
Well written (no surprise at is was co-written by Simon Pegg) and perfectly paced. The plot even made sense, mostly, which is a nice change.

The only bit that annoyed me was when
Kirk, a captain, was discussing his potential promotion to Vice Admiral with his immediate superior, who was a Commodore.
Yeah, that's not how promotion in the navy works. You can't leapfrog your CO and jump straight from Captain to Vice Admiral (not only missing our Commodore, but Rear Admiral as well!)

So 8/10 from me.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Excellently put.

AndyRM

XOXO

You'd think he'd have learned from Daredevil, Gigli or any of the other total disasters he's been in.

ETA - Pearl Harbour. I thought I'd blanked it out but it's just come crashing back...

Last edited:
'BatMan v SuperMan'

It was nice to see a vulnerable, non-omnipotent Kal-El, with his self-doubt, at points
As for Affleck, a twistem, more cynical BatMan was interesting, & his physical shape was impressive, in the gym sequence

Yes, Gal Gadot isn't bad as Wonder Woman, was a name mentioned,
Is she going to be Diana Prince again?

If this film had been made a few years ago, l'd have suggested Terri Farrell for the role
(Jadzia Dax, in 'Star-Trek : Deep Space 9')

An interesting scene was the sight of Aquaman, when Gal Gadot is looking at the LexCorp downloads
This suggests a forthcoming 'Justice League' film

I wonder what characters will be included??, will it be the equivilant of the Warner Brothers animation?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
High rise. A film about different classes in a tower block not getting along. Enjoyable madness, sure there was a point being made in the story somewhere. The guy that plays Loki starred.

Great film, and pretty true to the excellent book (amongst Ballard's best in my view) Loved the way they'd gone for the '70s look contemporary with the book rather than futuristic sci fi look.

Top Bottom