What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Aliens.

As the 30th anniversary has rolled around, I rewatched this, picking the theatrical cut (which don't think I've seen since watching it on rental VHS). It holds up pretty well, although the Alien mythos has become so embedded in popular culture that it's odd to see the characters knowing so little of it.

I had forgotten just how good Lance Henriksen is as Bishop, a performance that's just "off" enough to make you wonder whether he's going to go all Ash on everybody.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A generous review. I thought it was total mince!
I loved it. There were many parallels to the Snatch and Lock Stock... the improbable but nevertheless ruthless villains, Bob's sub plot, unstoppable Russians, and the camp bungled robberies. Lenny's crayfish vs Bricktop's pigs? One-two having to ask his victims how to find reverse? Perhaps I was looking for Guy Ritchie film mechanisms, and found them.

AndyRM

XOXO
I loved it. There were many parallels to the Snatch and Lock Stock... the improbable but nevertheless ruthless villains, Bob's sub plot, unstoppable Russians, and the camp bungled robberies. Lenny's crayfish vs Bricktop's pigs? One-two having to ask his victims how to find reverse? Perhaps I was looking for Guy Ritchie film mechanisms, and found them.

To be honest, I've only seen it once, and that was at the cinema. I will watch it again today to see if I've changed my mind. Which I probably have.

My main memory is that it was all over the place and not as well crafted as Snatch or Lock Stock. And to be honest my opinion of Guy Ritchie may have been super low after the disaster that was Revolver.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Black Sheep - 8/10

AKA Night of the Living Sheep, Sheep of the Dead, The Sheep Have Eyes, 28 Sheep Later.

Yep, mutant, zombie, infectious sheep. Really good fun Kiwi horror comedy in the same vein as Peter Jackson's early work. I think it's so good because it plays the sheep angle very straight and relies on the actors to provide the comedy, which they do very well.
sounds interesting.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hard not to... he just rehashed his earlier, better films because he's lost his spark. I blame Madge!

AndyRM

XOXO
sounds interesting.

Get involved, it's really good fun!

Cubist

Still wavin'
To be honest, I've only seen it once, and that was at the cinema. I will watch it again today to see if I've changed my mind. Which I probably have.

My main memory is that it was all over the place and not as well crafted as Snatch or Lock Stock. And to be honest my opinion of Guy Ritchie may have been super low after the disaster that was Revolver.
It wasn't as well crafted, no doubt of that. Part of me even wonders whether he deliberately made it that way, inasmuch as Lenny looked so much more respectable than Harry or Bricktop, but then he moved in different circles..... golf clubs not sex clubs or boxing clubs/dog pits. I haven't seen Revolver, perhaps I should? I'd tried to avoid it.

AndyRM

XOXO
It wasn't as well crafted, no doubt of that. Part of me even wonders whether he deliberately made it that way, inasmuch as Lenny looked so much more respectable than Harry or Bricktop, but then he moved in different circles..... golf clubs not sex clubs or boxing clubs/dog pits. I haven't seen Revolver, perhaps I should? I'd tried to avoid it.

Do not watch Revolver. It is total pish.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Scratch that. I have seen Revolver. I've just read a review that confirmed it. It was truly dire. The only bit I remember was Ray Liotta asking Statham to fear him. Incomprehensible garbage.

AndyRM

XOXO
Alleluia - 4/10

Belgian effort, loosely based on the Lonely Hearts Killers (I think, because it's too much of a coincidence not to be). It's alright in parts, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the director's two favourite films are Man Bites Dog and Natural Born Killers, both of which are more worthy of your time. He's also got a thing for Tarantino, which is limiting and frustrating.

AndyRM

XOXO
Scratch that. I have seen Revolver. I've just read a review that confirmed it. It was truly dire. The only bit I remember was Ray Liotta asking Statham to fear him. Incomprehensible garbage.

I think I've said this before, but Revolver left me raging; I sat through the stupid end credits, expecting something cool but no. Nothing.

If I ever meet Guy Ritchie he's getting a tae in the baws fae me.

Top Bottom